Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on 10.6.8 after installing MPEG2 plugin, Quicktime problem?

After installing the Apple MPEG2 component, which worked fine with MPEG Streamclip to convert MOD files to MP4, I opened iMovie and it said "Missing Quicktime Components, The QuickTime components necessary to view, edit, import, and export several kinds of movies are not installed. These components are included with the iMovie installer; please re-install."

I am wondering which components need to be reinstalled and is this the reason why I have absolutely no sound at all on the operating system and iTunes crashes if I try to open it

I have tried with another User - same problem

I have fully shut down and restarted the computer

I have reset the Audio Midi to 48000Hz

The internal speakers are selected and not greyed out

I have disconnected all external devices and the internet and the problem is the same

iMac Intel 2.4GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.3), Logic express 8

Posted on May 9, 2013 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2013 2:11 AM

This thread may help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3001075

7 replies

May 9, 2013 5:41 AM in response to lolodeso

Thanks - this thread does address the MPEG problem but I still have no sound whatsoever on any program or the system. If I try to preview a music file in the finder with no other program open there is no sound as it won't play. iTunes just crashes when opening with this error:

Process: iTunes [467]

Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Identifier: com.apple.iTunes

Version: 11.0.2 (11.0.2)

Build Info: iTunes-1102025001000000~1

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [104]

Date/Time: 2013-05-09 13:39:50.421 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 1616875 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 4

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 3334226 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3

Anonymous UUID: 141AE784-E67D-40A9-A793-F9DFEED553BA

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

- that's why I think it's a system problem.

May 10, 2013 4:09 AM in response to lolodeso

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have reset the PRAM/NVRAM with no success.

I tried testing the sound in Audio Midi Setup Utility under Configure speakers and the sound comes out of both speakers when tested.

I also tried opening the Activity monitor and quitting the coreaudio which then restarted itself but that didn't help either.

Should I try reinstalling Quicktime? or uninstalling the MPEG2 plugin?

May 11, 2013 6:26 AM in response to lolodeso

Some more developments:

I have tried uninstalling the Flash player and associated plugins and trashing all iMovie and iTunes preferences plists. iTunes opened as far as the licence agreement and then crashed.

Logic Express 8.02 which also have installed will play it's own audio files as normal.

Quicktimes Player 11 won't open any audio file and QuickTime player 7 will open audio files and play them but there's no sound

No sound on 10.6.8 after installing MPEG2 plugin, Quicktime problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.