Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Apple remote desktop not working?

I have 4 machines in a remote office that I need to connect to using ARD 3.6. I have a VPN connection working and am able to successfully control all but one of the machines. I have checked all of the settings and have confirmed that the Mac that ARD is not working has all of the same sharing preferences as the machines that are working. All of these machines are on the same network. All of the machines are running OS 10.8.x. All machines that I am able to connect to are running 10.8.3 but the one I can't is only at 10.8.2, but that is only because I haven't been able to remote into it yet to perform the OS update. The weird thing is that I can see the unresponsive Mac (can see the IP address, the version of ARD, OS version, etc.) but I simply can't connect to it to control or observe using ARD. I am however able to use TeamViewer from a remote Windows PC.

Can someone provide some ideas as to what to check and or how to fix this? TIA.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 9, 2013 6:24 AM

1 reply

Jun 19, 2013 9:24 PM in response to jg_lwdg

Do you have remote login enabled?

Have you tried using the kickstart command to restart the ARD Client?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If it's not enabled you will need to call a user or someone at the location and have them check the box to enable remote login.

In the past the ARD client has 'stalled' forcing me to restart the agent. Another option would be to have someone restart the machine for you.

I have actually had to use ssh to uninstall and re-install the client software due to corruption or ??.

Let me know what the outcome is. I see this was from May so let me know either way.

Thanks

Why is Apple remote desktop not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.