Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet only works when connected via VPN

I've been having problems getting on the internet with my iPhone 4 (with the latest iOS) for a while. The "symptoms" are as follows:

- I get the "3G" symbol that shows me that I'm supposed to be connected to the Internet

- I can check mail and send mail

- I seem to receive some push notifications (but I'm not sure whether all of the ones I should receive get through)

- I can tether using the personal hotspot function - and all services on the computer work (http and others)

- but I can't connect to most other services (Safari, Facebook, BBC News etc.) straight from my iPhone

Once I connect to a VPN server, this restriction is lifted and I have full access to the Internet.

I double-checked all settings (eg. under "cellular data network") and as far as I can tell, they are all as they should be.

I tried re-installing the iOS and restoring from back-up - no change.

I exchanged the SIM-card with one from another provider - same problem.

Any hints as to what I (or the phone) might be doing wrong?

Sebastian

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 9, 2013 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2013 9:25 AM

OK - problem solved by myself....

I reset all network settings and re-entered the (same!) information again under "Cellular Data Network". That did the trick...

Case closed. 🙂

14 replies

May 9, 2013 9:07 AM in response to wjosten

Not that I know of. I think my university recently introduced some changes related to their mail system (moving over to Exchange, I guess), but I am not aware of having anything Exchange-specific on my phone.

If people think it might be related to something that changed at work, I can go and ask the IT people there tomorrow...

May 10, 2013 1:32 AM in response to sebhoff

You need check your DNS and vpn setup!.

User uploaded file

How to Setup PPTP VPN on ipad

Tap Settings > General > Network > VPN > Add VPN Configuration. Then use the VPN settings for your device.

Open the Settings application

Click on General

Click on Network

Click on VPN

Click on Add VPN Configuration

Select PPTP

In the Description field, enter vpntraffic

In the Server field, enter your supplied server (for example: Brazil vpn )

In the Account field, enter your supplied username

In the Password field, enter your supplied password

Ensure that Send All Traffic is set to ON

Ensure that Encryption is set to Auto

Click Save

Press the Home button

Open the Settings application

Click on VPN

Click on vpntraffic

Set VPN to ON

May 10, 2013 9:03 AM in response to ttsaon3

Thanks - that explains how to get a VPN connection set up. But notice that my VPN connection already works - it's the non-VPN connection that doesn't...

I've now tried to remember when the problem started and I now think it's got to do with the GiffGaff SIM-card that I used when I was last in Britain. I suppose something of that profile was left on the system that now messes things up. But I don't know what...

Restoring the device from scratch is an option - but one I'd like to avoid if possible.

Internet only works when connected via VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.