Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 1st generation Nano, and I have a sad iPod icon, and it seems like my battery won't charge either. I guess it's too old. Anyway if I buy a new iPod will I be able to transfer my songs and playlists to the new one easily?

I have a older Nano, I think I got it in 2004 or 2005 and I have a sad iPod icon, and it seems like my battery won't charge, the low battery icon appears but never seems to do anything. If I buy a new iPod will I be able to transfer my songs and playlists to the new one easily? Thanks.

iPod nano

Posted on May 9, 2013 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2013 4:47 PM

If you are using automatic syncing to load the iPod, all songs on the iPod are in your iTunes music library. So, you won't need to transfer anything from the old nano. Just sync the new iPod from your iTunes library the same way.

If you use the Manually manage music setting, AND there are songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes music library, you will need to off-load songs to your computer first. You cannot transfer song files from iPod to computer using iTunes (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do a Google search on something like "ipod transfer" you should get some links.

Also, if this is a 1st gen iPod nano, you can check this article to see if it applies to you

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2013 4:47 PM in response to DianafromCo

If you are using automatic syncing to load the iPod, all songs on the iPod are in your iTunes music library. So, you won't need to transfer anything from the old nano. Just sync the new iPod from your iTunes library the same way.

If you use the Manually manage music setting, AND there are songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes music library, you will need to off-load songs to your computer first. You cannot transfer song files from iPod to computer using iTunes (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store). However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do a Google search on something like "ipod transfer" you should get some links.

Also, if this is a 1st gen iPod nano, you can check this article to see if it applies to you

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

I have a 1st generation Nano, and I have a sad iPod icon, and it seems like my battery won't charge either. I guess it's too old. Anyway if I buy a new iPod will I be able to transfer my songs and playlists to the new one easily?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.