Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.2 - Graphics Glitch Afterwards

Installed the Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.2 which came out today and immediatly after update started experiencing choppy graphics when scrolling, especially in the Mac App Store. Swipe between screens and dock magnification also causes glitch.

While keeping everything unplugged expect keyboard, tried:

Reset PRAM

Reset SMC

New Account

Changed Resolution

10.8.3 Combo Update

Repaired Permissions

Recovery Mode -> Safari

Placed a call to AppleCare earlier and they are supposed to be calling me back shortly after looking into the matter.

With this being a firmware update, only the first two things I did logically would correct the issue. Any other ideas?

iMac 27-inch, Late 2012 (iMac13,2)  3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7  32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5  3TB Fusion Drive

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 9, 2013 4:59 PM

20 replies

May 10, 2013 2:02 AM in response to pardthemonster

Have done a reinstallation of 10.8.3 using recovery mode. Still having the same issue. Sounds like it's time for a trip to the Apple Store. All due to the installation of a firmware update...

iMac 27-inch, Late 2012 (iMac13,2)  3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7  32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5  3TB Fusion Drive

May 10, 2013 7:41 AM in response to pardthemonster

Installed yesterday on my 15" Retina and external monitor is not working on both Thunderbolts ports anymore. Trip to Apple Genius bar already schedulled. I only hope the firmware update did not fry my ports (still under warranty, so I am not that worried).

Also saw on a thread yesterday, some guy had one port of his external Thunderbolt HD fried with the update.

May 10, 2013 9:01 AM in response to iAmPad

I just installed the firmware update on my mid-2011 13" MacBook Air, and I immediately had two problems. First, my external Thunderbolt hard drive (G-RAID, 4 TB, two Thunderbolt ports) will not mount. Second, my external monitor (a seven year-old Apple monitor connected with an adapter) will not work. The external drive and monitor were connected--that's my usual set-up my Mac.

May 10, 2013 9:07 AM in response to JML54

Yes, was your post ( 🙂 ) . Well, the firmware update on Apple web page does not request to unplug any Thunderbolt device, and to be true I don't remember if I unplugged my external monitor at the time. I have schedulled a Genius visit today (5PM EST time), so let see , but I am foreseen that they may need to change my motherboard (good I am still under warranty).

May 10, 2013 9:32 AM in response to sb3000

My problem is solved. I went back to Software Update was again asked to install the Thunderbolt firmware update. So for whatever reason, it seems that the first time I ran the update the only thing that happened was that it disabled Thundberbolt on my MacBook Air. The second time I ran the update it worked. (Also, the G-Technology tech support person I just talked to was great.)

May 11, 2013 4:56 AM in response to pardthemonster

External monitor not working properly for me either. The screen is dark, however the power switch on the monitor indicates that it is on and getting a signal, and in System Preferences>Displays I have two monitors showing. Yet in System Information>Hardware>Thunderbolt the status reads "No device connected".

I could not do the update again like sb3000.

The fact that the external display still shows up in System Preferences leads me to believe the port is not fried so I hope a future firmware update will fix this. My Air is out of warranty so I guess I'm screwed if something is fried though I think if Apple is the cause of the damge they should do the fix at their expense.

May 11, 2013 5:25 AM in response to Nordicus

I hope so , but in my case, the outcome was to change the logic board. I am not really quite sure the ports are fried, but I have the exactly behaviour you described. The Genius doesn't have a script to "brute force" to apply again the fix, I know more or less how to do , but mine is still under warranty, so I am not going to try to mess with "update historic list".

At least that was the outcome on the Apple store.

May 11, 2013 7:17 AM in response to iAmPad

I had the same problems on a early-2011 MBP/10.8.3 last night; 27" Cinema daisy-chained with a Lacie dual TB external. I tried rebooting and reapplying the 1.2 update. Nothing. "About this Mac" indicated that nothing was connected. Today, I simply unplugged the MBP from every connection and went on battery for about an hour.

I then connected everything back up and the mointor and both externals came on-line. ??? Anyway, I can say I have no special insight on this, but everything did finally come back, and "ATM" listed the Lacie, as it should. Maybe others who think their logic board is bricked may find this works for them too.

May 11, 2013 8:43 AM in response to sb3000

Just some more information, because I cannot edit my earlier post. The OWC drive I use for my Time Machine backup was connected to my 2011 MacBookPro8,2 via Firewire 800 when I ran the firmware update for Thunderbolt. Afterwards, it was gone. Rebooting the MacBook, turning the power on and off to the OWC drive, plugging and unplugging the drive, and changing Firewire cables did nothing to fix the problem. Then I tried my second OWC external hard drive, which I use as a cloned bootable backup, and it was recognized by the MacBook instantly. So there was nothing wrong with the MacBook logic board or the MacBook port. Then I tried the second Firewire 800 port on the OWC drive, and it was immediately recognized by the MacBook. So the firmware update did something to the OWC's board or chip for the Firewire port which was connected at the time of the firmware update, which is what OWC said can happen.

May 11, 2013 8:59 AM in response to jay17

JM, thanks for the tip, but ...

I tried your procedure, and same thing, the Thunderbolt port recognize that I have my external monitor conected , but no video signal there. I tried almost everything, and even the Genius guy did almost what I did , but still, no luck. So, just waiting the board to arraive at the Apple store, and have this s@ changed. I really regret to apply the firmaware patch, never had an issue, but well, guess first time for everything.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.2 - Graphics Glitch Afterwards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.