Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does "The operation could not be completed because an error occurred when creating frame 0 (error -1)." mean, and why does it keep happening?

So I've been trying to export a video file from Motion 5 (and FCPX), and I keep recieving the message "The operation could not be completed because an error occurred when creating frame 0 (error -1)". I've found the problem has something to do with a video file in the project, Ive tried multiple versions of said file, in multiple formats (.mov, h264, etc.), and I keep getting the same result. The file was originaly a 640x480 wmv file. Any suggestions?

Motion 5-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iMac 2.8 Ghz i5

Posted on May 9, 2013 9:42 PM

4 replies

May 10, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I ended up figuring out a solution, but I'll get to that in a sec.

To answer your question, I converted the .wmv file in a program called Media Converter (available in the App store), and converted it to an h.264 file (then later to a .mov file, and then to an .mpg). I could view the file, and work with it in projects, but any project I tried to output with any version of said file, would result in the afor mentioned message, with the same results in FCPX (and Compressor 4 as well). I tried multiple frame rates, resolutions, files types, re-converting the file, all with no luck. My impression from said experiments, and reading other discussions was that it was a corrupt file.

Then I got frisky...and a little desperate. I brought the converted file (the .wmv to .mov) into Motion 4... and an export worked first try. So I exported a pro-res file from Motion 4, and used that file in the already built Motion 5 project, and voila!

So, who knows what that means in real terms, as for the whats and whys.

What does "The operation could not be completed because an error occurred when creating frame 0 (error -1)." mean, and why does it keep happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.