3 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 11:35 AM by Karsten Schlüter
Tigervision Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hi all...

So lets say I have a project.  Lets say I moved a clip or a song from the internal drive to the external drive, or I renamed a song. Whatever it is - imovie can't find the source anymore.

Is there a way to say to iMovie... I know I changed something... but that song you are looking for is here (or the video clip is here).  In other words, can I repoint imovie to the source in an easy way after altering that source???

If not... my goodness.... horrible cheap windows programs have this ability.

Thanks for info/tips!

• Eric Ross Level 6 Level 6 (11,665 points)

This link will give you inforamtion on how to move those files correctly.  https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4141

• Tigervision Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Thanks Eric. 

I know about AM's writtings and they are awesome.  I know how to intentionally move stuff. 

My question is what if I accidently change a song in itunes or move a clip to a different event.  How can I repoint imovie to that song/clip and say, 'here it is' continue with the current editing features.

It seems to me that you can't do this on imovie?  Which I find amazing.  You could do this (repoint to the media if moved) on an old horrible Window's program called MS video editor from 2006!

Thanks.

j

• Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (31,060 points)

Tigervision wrote:

... my goodness.... horrible cheap windows programs have this ability.

so, why not using the tool which offers the features YOU need?

people often don't realize two things:

• iMovie is part of iLife, a suite of programs which all relate on each other

• all this apps, iMovie included, are first of all data-bases. the 'Library'. which often is mentioned, doesn't exist! There's no hidden, gigantic folder on your harddrive 'Library/My Movies'! It is just an elaborated and fragile list or chart of links - when you damage that links, for sure the complexity of a project is kaputt.

to re-link things is no trivia task - if, IF you touch several data-bases with a single item! in my personal opinion, Apple lost track for quiet a while, allowing 'movies' to be stored in iPhoto (eh?), iMovie (yep) and iTunes (wot??) - plus, we store our stuff internal, external, iCloud, whatever.-

iM'S Big Brother; FCPX has a re-link feature - pros know, how to manage data-bases. Or not

For iLive, fingerscrossed, Sir Ive will reduce (internal, home made) complexity ... hopefully.

My personal reason, why we haven't heard a single word about iMovie/iLife13 yet ... and it's May!