Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini white screen as user logs in (no desktop)

Sometimes when a user logs into my Mac Mini, they are greeted with a white screen. Instead of loading the desktop, it just stays frozen on the white screen. I am able to bring up Force Quit Applications, but nothing shows up on it. I am forced to hold the power button to turn off the computer. This is the only way to return back to normal. Anyone else experiencing or know the solution to this issue? I used to think it was my external My Book drive that was causing it to do this as it waited for it to wake up but I removed it from the equation and it still does this. It's done it twice this week so far.

I'm running the following:

Late 2012 Mac Mini with Fusion Drive

2.6GHz i7

4GB RAM

OS X 10.8.3

Dell U2412M Display

Wired Apple Keyboard, Wireless Magic Mouse

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 9, 2013 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2013 10:47 PM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

If 10.7.0 or later...

Bootup holding CMD+r, or the Option/alt key to boot from the Restore partition & use Disk Utility from there to Repair the Disk, then Repair Permissions.

Or maybe ask over here...

https://discussions.apple.com/community/servers_enterprise_software/os_x_server

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2013 10:47 PM in response to LOLuMad

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

If 10.7.0 or later...

Bootup holding CMD+r, or the Option/alt key to boot from the Restore partition & use Disk Utility from there to Repair the Disk, then Repair Permissions.

Or maybe ask over here...

https://discussions.apple.com/community/servers_enterprise_software/os_x_server

Mac Mini white screen as user logs in (no desktop)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.