Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9 importing images already in iPhoto's library

I have iPhoto 9 running on a MacBook Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard. First issue in four years:

I tried to import 29 new jpg photos emailed to me and iPhoto indicated it was importing 828 photos after dragging them to the iPhoto icon, the import screen displaying photos that have already been in the iPhoto library for years. What on earth is this about? I had to force quit. I have restarted the computer as well as the app, but no change in behaviour. Anyone ever experience this? Does not appear that I lost any pictures. Why and how is it importing what is already in it's own library?! Any fixes?

Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhoto 9

Posted on May 10, 2013 7:14 AM

7 replies

May 10, 2013 6:49 PM in response to PJDH

I realize this is difficult to understand as the problem is absolutely bizarre. I do drag the 29 new photos directly to iPhoto. iPhoto then proceeds to try and import them along with over 800 existing photos all on it's own that are already stored only in my iPhoto library. As a result, iPhoto becomes non-responsive. The 29 new photos start off on the desktop. My one and only iPhoto library cache where the other imports are coming from is on an external HD with about 5,000 images. I do have another external backup HD, but it isn't connected when this problem occurs. Seems like iPhoto is trying to chase it's own tail...

May 10, 2013 7:04 PM in response to PJDH

Okay. The gremlin seems to be gone as a result of rebooting the external HD. Hopefully it doesn't return. All the same, if anyone else has ever encountered anything remotely like this it would be nice if the problem could be identified for future reference. Thanks to those who took the time to ponder and respond.

iPhoto 9 importing images already in iPhoto's library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.