You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i connect my Yamaha DTXplorer to Garageband for iPad

How do I connect my Yamaha DTXplorer to Garageband for iPad? What do I need and what do I need to configure?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 10, 2013 9:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2013 9:29 AM

Okay so I already have the solution but couldn't find it anywhere so posted here in the hope that it will help others (especially the mapping bit since the DTXplorer doesn't support custom midi mapping)

Here's what I did. Alternative products and apps may be available but this worked for me.

Purchaces:

• iRig Midi (physical device)
  • MidiBridge (app)

Configuration:

• Connect the midi out of the Yamaha DTXplorer to the midi in of the iRig Midi
  • Connect the iRig Midi to your iPad
  • Now, here's the bit that made me think it was worth writing this post. The DTXplorer doesn't support custom midi mapping and it uses different midi notes than those used by GarageBand for iPad. To get around this you need to remap the incomming midi on the iPad using an app such as MidiBridge.
  • In MidiBridge, connect the iRig input to the MidiBridge output
  • Select the config icon on the iRig input and apply the Note Mapper. Here is what you need to remap to get things working
    • Bass Drum: A0 (33) -> C1 (36)
    • Low Tom: G1 (43) -> F1 (41)
    • Mid Tom: B1 (47) -> A1 (45)
    • Snare Drum: G0 (31) -> D1 (38)
  • The rest are mapped properly by default
  • In MidiBridge, you might want to save the configuration
  • Open up GarageBand and drum away!
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Colmanian

Okay so I already have the solution but couldn't find it anywhere so posted here in the hope that it will help others (especially the mapping bit since the DTXplorer doesn't support custom midi mapping)

Here's what I did. Alternative products and apps may be available but this worked for me.

Purchaces:

• iRig Midi (physical device)
  • MidiBridge (app)

Configuration:

• Connect the midi out of the Yamaha DTXplorer to the midi in of the iRig Midi
  • Connect the iRig Midi to your iPad
  • Now, here's the bit that made me think it was worth writing this post. The DTXplorer doesn't support custom midi mapping and it uses different midi notes than those used by GarageBand for iPad. To get around this you need to remap the incomming midi on the iPad using an app such as MidiBridge.
  • In MidiBridge, connect the iRig input to the MidiBridge output
  • Select the config icon on the iRig input and apply the Note Mapper. Here is what you need to remap to get things working
    • Bass Drum: A0 (33) -> C1 (36)
    • Low Tom: G1 (43) -> F1 (41)
    • Mid Tom: B1 (47) -> A1 (45)
    • Snare Drum: G0 (31) -> D1 (38)
  • The rest are mapped properly by default
  • In MidiBridge, you might want to save the configuration
  • Open up GarageBand and drum away!

Oct 12, 2013 2:38 PM in response to Colmanian

Thank you, Colmanian!

The procedure that you mentioned works fine! However, when I'm recording a midi track on garageband, it occurs a little midi delay or double notes even though I don't realise it when i'm playing in real time. Have you got any idea about it? I think this delay or double notes during the recording is due to somewhat related to midi velocity parameters.

In addition, I've got the Roland dual-trigger crash pad but the separate bow/edge triggering and choke capabilities don't work properly on garageband. Have you got any tips?

Thanks!

How do i connect my Yamaha DTXplorer to Garageband for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.