Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync Mail with Outlook and Gmail in browser?

I really like the Mail app in OS X, but I've noticed that it's not synced with the browser version of my email accounts, so anything I do in Mail (e.g. read an email, delete/trash it, etc) is only reflected within the app and not in my browser.

Just in case I didn't explain that properly: For example, if I read an email in Mail, and then switch to my Outlook account in Safari to check if that email has been marked as read, it would still appear as unread. If I delete and trash and email in Mac, that same email appears exactly where it used to be in Outlook, completely untouched.

This bothers me for two reasons. One, even if I were to stick with Mail and not touch my Outlook/Gmail accounts in Safari again, I still wouldn't like the idea of my inbox being all messy if I were ever to log back in. Two, Mail doesn't seem to have any options to create folders and subfolders as far as I'm aware, so my emails which are very neatly organized in Outlook are all lumped together in Mail's inbox. So even though Mail is a neat little app, I still have Outlook and Gmail bookmarked.

I'd like to know if there's a way to sync Mail with my email accounts in-browser, so that any changes I make in the app also show up when I log into my actual accounts? Maybe I'm just missing something or if this is not possible at all, please let me know. Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Other OS

Posted on May 10, 2013 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2013 3:33 PM

You have to set those accounts up as IMAP. Right now you probably have them set up as POP3 accounts.

Pop3 account are one way. You download your mail to your computer and send mail from your computer and it all stays on that particular computer. Imap stores everything on the mail providers server. Incoming and outgoing mail is always on the imap server and can be gotten on multiple devices. All sent mail is store on the server also and can be viewed from multiple devices.

With outlook that might not be possible. Not sure if individual outlook accounts can use imap. I do know that the office365 side can as that is what my company uses and some people are using macs and other email program other then ms outlook.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2013 3:33 PM in response to CTearz

You have to set those accounts up as IMAP. Right now you probably have them set up as POP3 accounts.

Pop3 account are one way. You download your mail to your computer and send mail from your computer and it all stays on that particular computer. Imap stores everything on the mail providers server. Incoming and outgoing mail is always on the imap server and can be gotten on multiple devices. All sent mail is store on the server also and can be viewed from multiple devices.

With outlook that might not be possible. Not sure if individual outlook accounts can use imap. I do know that the office365 side can as that is what my company uses and some people are using macs and other email program other then ms outlook.

How do I sync Mail with Outlook and Gmail in browser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.