Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do thieves get away with stealing an iphone 5 even when 'Find Iphone' is on?

How do thieves get away with stealing an iphone 5 even when 'Find Iphone' is on - surely, eventually they have to connect to the internet and then you can track it? My Iphone was stolen over 2 weeks ago now and it hasn't connected to the internet yet - does that mean there is a loop hole with 'Find Iphone' or it simply means they are yet to connect to the internet?

iPhone 5

Posted on May 10, 2013 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2013 11:46 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

When the thief changes the Apple ID of the iPhone or restore it to default settings, you won't be able to track it anymore with Find my iPhone, because your Apple ID must be used in the iPhone in order to track it. It's possible that they haven't connected the iPhone to the Internet or it's possible that they have changed the Apple ID or they have restored your iPhone to default settings before being able to track, lock or wipe your device from Find my iPhone

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2013 11:46 PM in response to moniquesinel

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

When the thief changes the Apple ID of the iPhone or restore it to default settings, you won't be able to track it anymore with Find my iPhone, because your Apple ID must be used in the iPhone in order to track it. It's possible that they haven't connected the iPhone to the Internet or it's possible that they have changed the Apple ID or they have restored your iPhone to default settings before being able to track, lock or wipe your device from Find my iPhone

Mar 24, 2014 7:44 AM in response to moniquesinel

If I have a passcode lock, how can they wipe the phone without being able to access it? Wouldn't someone from Apple or a store need to unlock the phone for them? Furthermore, if I report the phone as stolen, why wouldn't there be an Apple security system that keeps track of serial numbers of phones that have been stolen? Wouldn't that make sense? So when someone tries to activate a phone that is stolen, Apple should know. It makes no sense to have security measures in place such as a passcode lock and the Find my Iphone application if there are ways to get around them. This provides a false sense of security to your users. What are my options if Apple's security measures are insufficient? I buy a phone for $750 thinking that it is safe, I get mugged, phone stolen and there is nothing that you guys can do?

Mar 24, 2014 8:07 AM in response to amccord

The primary security measure in place with iOS 7 is activation lock. Even if a device is restored, your iCloud ID and password are required in order to reactivate it and use it; and there is no way around activation lock. The device becomes worthless, making it less valuable to steal in the first place. Nothing will completely eliminate the risk of a mobile device from being stolen, but if there is nothing to be gained by stealing it this should at least lower the risk of it being stolen.

Mar 24, 2014 8:35 AM in response to amccord

You are responding to an almost year old thread. Things have changed since the replies posted last year.

However, all the security in the world can't prevent the device being stolen (unless you lock it in a safe). All it can do is protect your data and name the device useless to a thief. If the device is no use to a theif, then hopefully the theif will have no reason to steal it in the first place. But theives are stupid, and some will still steal useless items.

How do thieves get away with stealing an iphone 5 even when 'Find Iphone' is on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.