Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I recover sms and mms messages if I have never backed up my iphone?

Hello,

I am completely new to the Apple family and am having a hard time understanding how the initial backup to iCloud affects my deleted iMessages, SMS, and MMS correspondences. I want to recover a group of SMS and MMS conversations that my toddler deleted...I know...I know - so green I did not even initiate the lock screen. To be honest, we don't lock devices in our home. I have never backed-up/signed into iCloud from my iphone. I keep seeing posts about texts/pic not being "really" deleted as some can find them in a search. Is it possible to recover these at all without using thrid party software? Some part of me believes that becasue I have never backedup my phone, the deleted data is just waiting to be "dumped" into iCloud...maybe that is the illogical and sleep deprived part. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 11, 2013 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 2:57 AM

Sorry, your data is gone.

5 replies

May 11, 2013 7:27 AM in response to wjosten

Thank you for the reply. You wouldn't happen to know any third party software with this capability, something trusted on the forum?

Apr 5, 2014 11:07 PM in response to Community User

If you “Synced” your iPhone "SMS" to iTunes and/or backup to the cloud, you may be able to recover messages from an iPhone SIM Card. I use a program called iOS data recovery that will take the text messages from the backup and allow you to restore them and/or back them up to an external application.

Restore from iTunes backup:

Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the PC/Mac

Step 2: Open iTunes

Step 3: Click on Devices tab

Step 4: Right-click on the iPhone that’s connected and click ‘Backup’

Step 5: Note that this will effectively remove all old information on your iPhone and get the backup data on your iPhone. If you had backed up sms too in your previous iTunes backup, those will be restored to the iPhone and you should mostly recover that deleted sms messages now.

Jan 21, 2015 10:41 PM in response to Community User

Actually if your deleted sms haven't been overwritten yet, you can also try to get them back with iPhone Data Recovery. It provides a mode which allows you to scan, preview and recover lost data directly from iPhone. I think you can try free trial of iPhone data recovery to scan for the deleted messages. If still found, you may consider buying it for complete recovery.

Can I recover sms and mms messages if I have never backed up my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.