Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

managed image not found

I was doing a relocate originals to get the masters out of my vault and into a backed up system. After it was "done", there is one file that says "image not found". However, I can find the image file. How can I get Aperture to not see it as a managed image (that isn't in its vault) and instead to be a referenced image where I can point it to the file?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Aperture 3.4.4

Posted on May 11, 2013 5:15 AM

8 replies

May 11, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Alan Smith4

I was doing a relocate originals to get the masters out of my vault and into a backed up system.

Alan,

could you please explain in more detail what you were doing? I have trouble to understand, how you relocated masters out of a vault.

Have you opened a vault as your Aperture library? Or were you relocating original image files from your Aperture library, so the would not be included in the vault when backing up to a vault?

How can I get Aperture to not see it as a managed image (that isn't in its vault) and instead to be a referenced image where I can point it to the file?

Where exactly is the missing file? Is it inside a vault? Inside your Aperture library (managed)?

Regards

Léonie

May 11, 2013 12:38 PM in response to léonie

To relocate originals, you select them and then do "File...Relocate Originals.." This changes the master from being a "managed" image to a referenced one.

Aperture did successfully save the file (and I have inspected it with preview to make sure it is not corrupt.). However, it still thinks it is a "managed" image. But since Aperture has removed it out of the library, it can't find it there. (I shouldn't have used the word vault earlier.)

Thanks,

Alan

May 11, 2013 1:18 PM in response to Alan Smith4

(I shouldn't have used the word vault earlier.)

Yes, the "vault" part was the confusing one.

Aperture did successfully save the file (and I have inspected it with preview to make sure it is not corrupt.). However, it still thinks it is a "managed" image.

There is no built-in way to reconnect image versions with managed originals to their originals. But since it is only one image, you can fix that manually by reimporting.

• Copy the image file to your Desktop, or whereever you can easily access it.
  • Reimport it into Aperture.
  • Then use the Lift&Stamp tool to lift all Metadata tags and adjustments from the image version with missing original and to stamp them onto the reimported image.
  • Then delete the old version.

Is there any difference between the one image, that could not be relocated and the other ones? An unusual filename or image format or file size?

Is there a duplicate of the image in the library?

Regards

Léonie

Jun 16, 2013 4:13 AM in response to léonie

I have the same problem.

I inadvertently imported some images a Managed instead of Referenced. I did Relocate Originals, then checked by selecting Photos in the sidebar and set the Filter to Status is Managed (no other criteria set) and it shows no photos.

However, I went to create a new Vault and it says that 201 managed files will be included in this vault (this is maybe why the OP mentioned Vaults). 201 matches the number of images I imported.

leonieDF wrote:

But since it is only one image, you can fix that manually by reimporting.

Copy the image file to your Desktop, or whereever you can easily access it.

How can I do this? I don't know which photos they are (I could guess, but that's not a good idea).

I've run Repair Database (Opt+Cmd when starting Aperture).

Is there any other way to fix this - Rebuild Database perhaps?

EDIT: I wonder if this is why Aperture has suddenly started taking ages to update existing vaults? It takes about 30 mins before the progress dialouge appears during which time it beach-balls and Activity Monitor shows it as Not Responding

Jun 16, 2013 5:56 AM in response to parish_chap

The message in the vault panel can be misleading. It will also count files in the Photo Stream. Are you using Photo Stream?

If Aperture relocated your images, you will be able to use the command "File > Show in Finder". Try that on some files in the project in question. If aperture still has the file indexed as "managed", the Show in Finder should be grayed out.

If your files are truely managed, you will see them in the Library package. Ctrl-click the Aperture library and use the command "Show Package Contents". Open the folder "Masters" and navigate to the subfolder of the date, when you imported the project. Managed originals should be stored there.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 16, 2013 9:11 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

The message in the vault panel can be misleading. It will also count files in the Photo Stream. Are you using Photo Stream?

If Aperture relocated your images, you will be able to use the command "File > Show in Finder". Try that on some files in the project in question. If aperture still has the file indexed as "managed", the Show in Finder should be grayed out.

If your files are truely managed, you will see them in the Library package. Ctrl-click the Aperture library and use the command "Show Package Contents". Open the folder "Masters" and navigate to the subfolder of the date, when you imported the project. Managed originals should be stored there.

Regards

Léonie

Ah-ha! Yes, it's PhotoStream well, 155 of them are. The reast are in various sub-folders under Masters but they aren't the master files (those are definitely disk outside of the Library) and they are very small - <100k and the ones I've looked at are 720x540 whereas the originals were either 2048x1536 (iPhone 4S) or 3888x2592 (CanonEOS400D) so I don't know where they've come from 😕 The only clue is that the pixel size is the size of Std Def TV (UK PAL).

I take it that PhotoStream images are Managed and can't be Referenced? Any idea where the others may have come from? I take it that it wouldn't be wise to go deleting them!!

Jun 16, 2013 9:22 AM in response to parish_chap

I take it that PhotoStream images are Managed and can't be Referenced?

The outo import from Photo Stream will create monthly, managed project. But you can relocate those, when the month is over.

Any idea where the others may have come from? I take it that it wouldn't be wise to go deleting them!!

The only clue is that the pixel size is the size of Std Def TV (UK PAL).

When you import videos, you may have imported thumbnails of the videos as well. Have you import videos as managed files? When I import from my camera, I usually get stills of that size as well.

Jun 16, 2013 12:53 PM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

When you import videos, you may have imported thumbnails of the videos as well. Have you import videos as managed files? When I import from my camera, I usually get stills of that size as well.

I don't import video.

The main thing is that I now know that the majority of these are Photostream, although I'm always wary of dross bein gleft lying around especially in something like the Aperture Library where it's not a good idea to go poking around deleting things yourself.

Thanks for your help 🙂

managed image not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.