Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login window won't display list of users

I had 2 users, my main admin account and the default "guest".

And it bugged me that each time I restarted the Macbook Air, unlike with my previous Macbooks or with my iMac, I didn't see a list of users to choose (and then enter password) but just a "name" and "password" fields.

This appeared all of a sudden after an OS X update a few months ago. At first I thought it was a new thing... sorry I really can't remember WHICH update. But I know it wasn't like that when I bought the Macbook Air last January, and it appeared suddenly after a restart.

At the time I panicked since I didn't remember right away what the heck my user name was. It's not like I use it regularly! Thankfully I remembered. And forgot all about it until the next reboot.

And I finally decided to look into it, and realized it's a simple setting I should be able to change.

But I can't!

My settings were already set to "display a list of users" and NOT to "name and password".

To make sure, I created a new "test" user (which I should've done as soon as I got the MBA anyways).

I also tried selecting "name and password" option... hoping there was a mixup somewhere and the options were "cross-wired" somehow (ok, I didn't really believe it would work).

And putting the option back to "users list".

logging off inbetween each change.

I shut the MBA off completely too.

But nothing works.

I still only get the name and password fields.

My settings say one thing, reality shows another.

It's a minor thing. But it bugs me big time.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13in

Posted on May 11, 2013 8:32 AM

5 replies

May 11, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Anniedan

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWFULLNAME | open -f -a TextEdit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. Post the contents of that window, if any — the text, please, not a screenshot.

If nothing appears in the TextEdit window, post the contents of the Terminal window.

Login window won't display list of users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.