Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Review photos in large view before importing

I have been using Aperture for about 6 months now. I tend to take a lot of pictures of the same subject in a setting with various ligths, angles, etc. So after any given shoot I have hundreds of pictures, whereas I actually want/need a few of them. With my current method of import, I have to import ALL of the pictures, looks through them, and delete the REFERENCE THUMBNAIL I don't want. This keeps the MASTER on my rapidly filling hard drive.

In the Windows world, I had the option of looking at everything on the SD card in FULL SCREEN and delete what I did not want before importing what I wanted. Is there such an option on the Mac? In other words, can is there a way on Aperture, Image Capture, Preview, etc. to look at the pictures on the SD card in LARGE format, study the details, and import only the ones necessary, in order to save HD space?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 11, 2013 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 9:25 AM

I have to import ALL of the pictures, looks through them, and delete the REFERENCE THUMBNAIL I don't want. This keeps the MASTER on my rapidly filling hard drive.

You can always use the command "Delete Original Image and all version" and when emptying the Trash enable "Move referenced files to Trash". This way the originals will not waste disk space.

User uploaded file

In the Import panel you can switch to the viewer to step and browse the images one by one and to enable the checkmark for import. However, I found no way to do this with the Viewer set to full screen.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2013 9:25 AM in response to Kasebeekas

I have to import ALL of the pictures, looks through them, and delete the REFERENCE THUMBNAIL I don't want. This keeps the MASTER on my rapidly filling hard drive.

You can always use the command "Delete Original Image and all version" and when emptying the Trash enable "Move referenced files to Trash". This way the originals will not waste disk space.

User uploaded file

In the Import panel you can switch to the viewer to step and browse the images one by one and to enable the checkmark for import. However, I found no way to do this with the Viewer set to full screen.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

May 11, 2013 9:33 AM in response to Kasebeekas

It seems to me that you have two separate issues: viewing images larger prior to importing, and something not working right when you delete Images.

The solution to the first is to use a card reader (I don't think this works with the camera cabled to the computer, but go ahead and try it). When a card is in a card reader and you have Aperture's Import window open, you can double-click an Image to see it larger. (The card reader is a drive to the OS. Double-clicking to go to a larger view works on any file on a drive.) There are actually three states for the Import file display window: a browser (grid), a viewer (single image, large), and a list. There are icons for these in the Tool Strip (which is what Aperture calls the large bottom border when it holds buttons).

The second issue is: why when you delete Images from a Project are your Originals not deleted. When you delete the last remaining Image of an Original, the Original should be deleted as well. Are you emptying the Aperture Trash? And then the system trash?

There should be no change in the storage requirements between deleting files prior to importing into Aperture, and importing into Aperture and deleting all the Versions of an Original (which forces the deletion of the Original) and emptying the Aperture Trash. (In both cases you have to empty the system trash to recover the storage space.)

Once you get deleting to work properly, I recommend as a workflow importing all images from every shoot, and then doing your triage in Aperture. It is one of the many things Aperture excels at. What I do is quickly mark as rejected any Image that is OoF, mis-composed, or otherwise not worth saving. These are removed from view as soon as I select another Image (because the default Browser filter is "{Show} Unrated or Better"). Then at some point while the shoot is still fresh in my mind, I filter the Project to show rejected Images, scan through them to make sure there is nothing there I might find useful, and then I select what's left and delete them. At the end of every work day I empty the Aperture Trash, and after closing Aperture empty the system trash (prior to unmounting external drives).

May 11, 2013 9:40 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

However, I found no way to do this with the Viewer set to full screen.

Hi Léonie -- can you get the Import window open in full-screen mode? I can't. What I mean is, it is not only that you can't switch from import browser to import viewer in full-screen mode -- you can't import at all in full-screen mode. At least I cannot.

--Kirby.

May 11, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi Léonie -- can you get the Import window open in full-screen mode? I can't. What I mean is, it is not only that you can't switch from import browser to import viewer in full-screen mode -- you can't import at all in full-screen mode. At least I cannot.

That is what I meant, Kirby - English is difficult! I don't know if it is possibe to get to Full Screen Mode from the Import panel, and I don't know how to get rid of all the surrounding panel, i.e. the Inspector panel.

May 11, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby & Leonie; Both of you have some excellent advice. Thank you so much! I think this is already going to improve things significantly. The issue (however minor) which still remains is that you still HAVE to import the picture before you reject or delete it. But if this can't be done, it is not the end of the world. I will try the work flow you suggested.

If Leonie has any words of wisdom about full screen view, it would be much appreciated.

Review photos in large view before importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.