7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2013 9:12 AM by FranTer
Bruce A Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

Good afternoon.

2.5" IDE drives seem to to harder (and more expensive) to find now.

Do these IDE -> SATA adapter strips function as advertised for laptop replacements?

Is there room for the adapter and the SATA drive in laptops?

Thanks for your time.

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double Layer SD), Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Network 23 Level 6 Level 6 (11,875 points)

The space inside a PowerBook (well, all laptops pretty much) for the hard drive is very tight, as you can see in the PowerBook repair guides on ifixit.com. It doesn't seem like there is room for an adapter.

The best bet is to just use one of the remaining IDE drive options. I feel your pain, I have a PowerBook I would like to keep running after its drive died but the spinning drives are expensive compared to SATA and the SSDs are just as expensive for a lot less space. My game plan for now is to sit and wait until IDE SSD prices drop to under $100. I mean at this point most IDE SSDs are worth more than the machine you put it in!

When the price can be justified, an SSD does seem like a pretty good idea for a PowerBook because it is the last major performance boost left for these old machines after RAM is maxed out.

However, this is a dangerous game, as at some point the few companies making IDE SSDs will inevitably quit making them for IDE.

• dalstott Level 4 Level 4 (2,625 points)

There are adapters made to substitute Compact Flash card memory for IDE/ATA hard drives. CF cards up to 64 GB are available

From the site: This family of unique CF-IDE Hard Drive Adapters is designed to enable one or two Compact Flash (CFI/II) media to be used as direct replacements for 2.5" IDE hard drives. As a result, any equipment, such as Notebook computer, that uses a 2.5" IDE hard drives can be easily converted to use low power consuming and shock resistant CF media. Once installed, the CF appears as an ordinary hard drive to any OS and can be configured as a boot device.

Compatible** with DOS, Windows 3.1, NT4, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac or Linux

http://www.addonics.com/products/ad44midecf.php

ad44mide2cf_diagram.gif

• Network 23 Level 6 Level 6 (11,875 points)

OK now that's kinda cool. The downside is that compact flash cards at today's HD capacities are not really much cheaper than getting an IDE SSD. The cheapest 64GB CF card I found is $99, but if you add the adapter price you're out at $128, shipping not included. It might be better just to get the 60GB IDE SSD at macsales.com for $130, because it would be a true SSD, tried and tested as a superfast modern laptop drive.

• dalstott Level 4 Level 4 (2,625 points)

I agree with your assesment regarding costs. The only way it would be acceptable would be when applied to older

pre G3 equipment which looked really good with 3 or 4 GB hard drives.

• FranTer Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

We weren't told why the IDE drive had to be replaced. If it's faulty you could get a second hand drive and hope to be lucky. If it's to get a bigger disk it's best to pay up, or use an external hard drive on the firewire port, either a small portable drive or a big desktop drive depending on your use.

But not all firewire drives are compatible with booting on PPC Macs. LaCie makes nice rugged small drives, and others too, but there are other brands too.