Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Pages overwrite my previous document when I close it, even when I don't save? Is there any way to fix this?

Sometimes I close a document without saving it because I don't need to, but instead pages overwrites my previous document with the changes that I didn't want to save. Is there any way to prevent this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 11, 2013 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 1:55 PM

You can enable a preference to ask you to save changes in System Preferences > General in Mountain Lion.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

10 replies

May 15, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Vlad_Kim

Vlad_Kim wrote:

Can you please explain that in a little more detail?

The best option is to Duplicate your document before you begin to edit. Then you can work on the copy and leave the original untouched, You will find Duplicate in the File menu or in the filename banner menu:

User uploaded file

If you have edited your document and closed or saved it, then you can go back with the Browse All Versions option.

If you have edited, but not yet saved or closed your document and are ready to dump the edits, you have the revert to the "Last Opened" (state) option from the filename banner:

User uploaded file

Is that enough detail? It's really pretty simple. Don't panic, checkout your options, and you will usually be OK.

Jerry

Apr 14, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Vlad_Kim

I can't help at all, but I need some.

If I want to make subtle changes to a document, like an invoice or an essay, if I change the content and then the document title it will overwrite everything that was there before.

I know I can revert to another version but it's incredibly tiresome and still won't retain the original if I restore and (attempt to) change the title.

I'd have thought Apple would have something to match word or, most likely, better it.

Not so, and I'm extremely disappointed.

Apr 14, 2014 2:00 PM in response to fjwhiston

Thank you, really appreciate your reply. Pretty sure that's what used to happen with word but if I try that in pages it only saves the amended document - altered title and content - but the original disappears, only reappearing if I use "Revert to". Then this process is repeated with the original original (if you know what I mean) replacing the amended version!

Frustrating to say the least.

I'm now duplicating before I cut, amend etc. but it's a real ***. If there's a simple solution I'd love to know what it is: It can't be as tricky as trying to find your way around the hateful, byzantine stuff MS chuck out.

Jan 17, 2015 1:20 AM in response to killcondo

Can I jump in here please ... the "ask to keep changes" doesn't seem to be available in vers 5.5.2 prefs and the browse option has moved but when I found it I get "cannot browse this document" (or something like that) ... I cannot repeat the message because now when I try and open the doc. I get: "This document can no longer be used because its file has become unreadable, so it must be closed." - why is this basic requirement so difficult ?

Jan 17, 2015 1:26 AM in response to ROGER BURTON

ROGER BURTON wrote:

Can I jump in here please ... the "ask to keep changes" doesn't seem to be available in vers 5.5.2 prefs and the browse option has moved but when I found it I get "cannot browse this document" (or something like that) ... I cannot repeat the message because now when I try and open the doc. I get: "This document can no longer be used because its file has become unreadable, so it must be closed." - why is this basic requirement so difficult ?

Apple seems to have lost its way, "Into the Woods". It can't resist changing things until they break.

Rate/Review Pages 5.5.2 in the App Store and let Apple know.

Peter

Why does Pages overwrite my previous document when I close it, even when I don't save? Is there any way to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.