Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find iPhoto files

Hi

I am using Snow Leopard's iPhoto. So the old version.

When you delete a photo from the iPhoto folders in the Finder, the file picture remains in iPhoto, but not the actual file itself. More like a ghost file.

Is it possible to group all these missing files together in iPhoto, so I know which ones are missing?

I have them backed-up. SO I suppose I could just do a restore...But I want to do it this way.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 11, 2013 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 5:38 PM

SOLVED IT!

LOL. I was looking in my backup drive, found one of the missing photos and did a "get info" - looked at its "Where:" /Volumes/My Mac/Other Stuff/My iPhoto Library/Data/2006/

So the missing files are located in DATA.

Then go to iPhoto Library, File > Import to Library > /Volumes/My Mac/Other Stuff/My iPhoto Library/Data

I now have my missing photos from 2006-2013. yay!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2013 5:38 PM in response to MajorMenace Cam

SOLVED IT!

LOL. I was looking in my backup drive, found one of the missing photos and did a "get info" - looked at its "Where:" /Volumes/My Mac/Other Stuff/My iPhoto Library/Data/2006/

Then go to iPhoto Library, File > Import to Library > /Volumes/My Mac/Other Stuff/My iPhoto Library/Data

I now have my missing photos from 2006-2013. yay!

May 11, 2013 8:19 PM in response to MajorMenace Cam

When you delete a photo from the iPhoto folders in the Finder, the file picture remains in iPhoto, but not the actual file itself. More like a ghost file.

Never, Never, Never under any circumstances make any changes of any sort to the structure or content of the iPhoto library using the finder - you will corrupt your library and cause data loss

No - that is a very small, low resolution version of the photo only suitable for displaying as a thumbnail

You do need to restore your library from your backup - you do not have a complete library and it does not contain the correct version of the photos

Bottom line is do not ever go into your iPhoto library - there is no reason to do so and you will mess things up - as you have

LN

May 12, 2013 3:03 AM in response to MajorMenace Cam

Yes, the back up will not have newer additions - one of the reasons to have an up-to-date back up.

You can't merge back ups. What do do is restore the Library(ies) from the back up and merge those.

If you have Aperture 3.3 or later and iPhoto 9.3 or later you can merge libraries with Aperture.

Otherwise the only way to merge Libraries is with the paid ($20) version of iPhoto Library Manager

find iPhoto files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.