Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "sync fans" after Mac Pro Power Supply replacement?

As the subject implies I'm going to replace my 2008 Mac Pro's power supply (PSU). This swap out looks relatively simple as I'm no stranger to the inside of this machine. Over the years I've added a Bluetooth card, routed the spare SATA ports to a back-plate, added a Superdrive in bay #2, removed said superdrive and put in a multi-drive bracket in it's place, RAM, video card, etc.... So, this particular repair isn't daunting.

However, the one thing that I've seen reference to, that I want to make sure I do properly, is syncing the systems fans. This notion comes from a few reports that I've stumbled onto across the web. Here's one: "...Do not replace the power supply unless you have the original system installation disks as they contain a program for syncing the fans. If the sync is not done the fans will run wild...." from here.

I do indeed have the original install discs for this Mac Pro. How do I go about invoking this fan syncing software? Is it part of the Hardware Test? There are plenty of guides about this particular repair. Both text and videos but no one gets too deep into this fan sync.

Any input is appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 6 GB RAM

Posted on May 11, 2013 7:34 PM

3 replies

May 12, 2013 3:40 PM in response to kaz-k

So:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Does that mean I boot up after the installlation, then start at step 1?

How to "sync fans" after Mac Pro Power Supply replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.