Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAID 0 Salvage

I recently had a 1.5TB LaCie D2 Big Disk Extreme Quadra crap the bed. This unit contained two 750GB Seagate Barricuda drives RAID 0 to make a 1.5TB volume. I believe it is a problem with the interface, not the drives themselves. (The light on the power cord blinks indicating such a potential problem according to the LaCie site. It does this whether or not the drives are connected to the interface board.)

Here's the big question: Assuming the drives and data are just fine, would I be able to plug them into my Mac Pro (yes, the connectors are compatible) and see them as a single RAID 0 volume as I did earlier? Also, would trying this (simply plugging and booting) harm the data on the drives?

Thanks so much for your insights.

-Daniel

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MOTU 2408 mk3; DP7, Logic Pro 8.0.1

Posted on May 11, 2013 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 11:55 PM

would I be able to plug them into my Mac Pro (yes, the connectors are compatible) and see them as a single RAID 0 volume as I did earlier?

No. It's a hardware RAID, not a software RAID. On your theory that the drives are intact but the enclosure is faulty, the only way to rescue the data would be to install the drives in a compatible enclosure, and I don't know whether that would work.

If you don't have backups, you should contact the vendor's tech support before you do anything.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2013 11:55 PM in response to LittleZeusMusic

would I be able to plug them into my Mac Pro (yes, the connectors are compatible) and see them as a single RAID 0 volume as I did earlier?

No. It's a hardware RAID, not a software RAID. On your theory that the drives are intact but the enclosure is faulty, the only way to rescue the data would be to install the drives in a compatible enclosure, and I don't know whether that would work.

If you don't have backups, you should contact the vendor's tech support before you do anything.

May 14, 2013 11:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc. I have backups of MOST of the data, so I'm not sure if it's really worthwhile for me to pay those exorbitant costs to salvage anything I don't have. I'm holding off before I do anything, but I think I'll just get two new enclosures.

Is there a program that exists that could recreate the RAID, though it was originally a harware RAID?

RAID 0 Salvage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.