Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot enable keyboard & character viewer

After a fresh install of 10.7.5, I cannot enable the keyboard & character viewer. Neither the checkbox will stay checked, nor does the option appear in the input sources menu...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Klaus

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 11, 2013 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2013 5:55 AM

This used to happen in 10.5, and back then the fix was at

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1896

You might try that or cleaning caches with something like Onyx.

5 replies

May 12, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks, Tom, for your speedy reply.

This is what the Terminal commands produced:

Last login: Sat May 11 21:33:45 on console

You have mail.

Macintosh-7:~ klausblume$ sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache*

Password:

Macintosh-7:~ klausblume$ sudo rm /var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlDataCache*

rm: /var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlDataCache*: No such file or directory

Macintosh-7:~ klausblume$

No such file or directory

As far as Onyx is concerned, the homepage is flogging MacKeeper (ugh). Is Onyx MacKeeper in disguise?

May 12, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I have a supplemental question: As I mentioned in my first post, this happened after a 'fresh 10.7.5 install.' What does that mean? Has the original system been replaced, or just repaired? What would happen, if I were to start up from an external HD, delete the system, and then do a fresh install? Or does 10.7 look for 10.6 to proceed?

Thanks

cannot enable keyboard & character viewer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.