5 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2013 10:42 AM by Tom Gewecke
Klaus Blume Level 2 Level 2

After a fresh install of 10.7.5, I cannot enable the keyboard & character viewer. Neither the checkbox will stay checked, nor does the option appear in the input sources menu...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Klaus

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
Solved by Tom Gewecke on May 12, 2013 5:55 AM Solved

This used to happen in 10.5, and back then the fix was at

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1896

You might try that or cleaning caches with something like Onyx.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9

This used to happen in 10.5, and back then the fix was at

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1896

You might try that or cleaning caches with something like Onyx.

• Klaus Blume Level 2 Level 2

Thanks, Tom, for your speedy reply.

This is what the Terminal commands produced:

Last login: Sat May 11 21:33:45 on console

You have mail.

Macintosh-7:~ klausblume$ sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache*

Password:

Macintosh-7:~ klausblume$ sudo rm /var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlDataCache*

rm: /var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlDataCache*: No such file or directory

Macintosh-7:~ klausblume$

No such file or directory

As far as Onyx is concerned, the homepage is flogging MacKeeper (ugh). Is Onyx MacKeeper in disguise?

I have a supplemental question: As I mentioned in my first post, this happened after a 'fresh 10.7.5 install.' What does that mean? Has the original system been replaced, or just repaired? What would happen, if I were to start up from an external HD, delete the system, and then do a fresh install? Or does 10.7 look for 10.6 to proceed?

Thanks

I am hornswoggled!

After I ran the Terminal commands, and got the No such file or directory, I gave up, closed the computer, and had a cup of coffee.

After I re-opened it, I checked the Language & Text settings one more time, and, voilà, everything was there...

So the sudo commands must have worked...

Thanks,

Klaus

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9

Klaus Blume wrote:

After I re-opened it, I checked the Language & Text settings one more time, and, voilà, everything was there...

Good news!