Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule support Encrypted USB disk ?

I have a 2TB Time Capsule and I want to connect a USB disk formatted as ( Mac OS Extended Journaled, Encrypted ) on MAC OS X Mountain Lion. When I connect it directly to my Mac , it asks for a password (if it's not already in the keychain) and then I can see it mounted. Is there a way to give the password when it's connected to the Time Capsule or it doesn't support Encrypted disks at all?

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 11, 2013 9:17 PM

2 replies

May 12, 2013 5:40 PM in response to Hussam kh

No, encrypted volumes aren't supported on disks connected to Time Capsules or Airport Extremes. We keep hoping some new hardware or software will allow that, but so far, no.

See AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule: USB storage device supported formats and protocols. It doesn't really spell it out (we've asked them to clarify it, but that hasn't happened yet, either.)

There is a workaround, but it may not be what you want. You could create an encrypted disk image on the disk and put your files inside it; that will be recognized. A fairly serious downside, however, is that only one user on one Mac may open it at a time.

Another downside is, how will you back it up? Time Machine can't back up from a network volume, but some 3rd-party apps such as CarbonCopyCloner and ChronoSync can, but I'm not sure how they'd handle encrypted disk images.

Time Capsule support Encrypted USB disk ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.