Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with copy and paste from Word into Pages solved

I saw articles back two years that didn't solve the copy - paste problem between Microsoft Word and Pages. Since then I've had upgrades to my

Mac OS and had the same issue. No one posted a solution that I could find.

Solution: Copy Microsoft Word text, as much as you like.

Open Text Edit and paste into a file.

Copy all text in this file. Change font to Courier. Don't know if this is absolutely necessary.

Go to Format Heading and choose, "Make Plain Text".

Copy text in new format and paste into Pages Text Box.

If you have a ton of text then create new pages and click on little aquamarine arrow at the bottom of the text box.

It will chain it to another Text Box, which you can move into the next blank page.

Save it !

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 11, 2013 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 9:50 PM

I sounds as you are using a Page Layout document isntead of a Word Processing document. I would open the Word documnet direct in Pages. Or paste directly in Pages. Never had any problem with that.

9 replies

May 12, 2013 5:44 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter, do you have short term memory? This is from one of your postings back in 2010 where you did not recommend

*Paste and Match Style*, but the regular copy and paste.

Please do not post disparaging comments if you haven't done your research.

Sep 21, 2010 7:43 AM

I like iWork, very useful, but I think comparing one to other (to MS office) word is better than pages, right?
A lot of functonality of word is missing in pages, for example, if i like a text, fulled of pics and grafics, and tablets, I simply select everething I want from the web page, copy and paste it in MS Word. usually, it stays the same config it was in the original web page. But if I do that in pages, even if I choose: "paste exaclty the same" (something like that in paste options) it loses the configuration, putting the text out of the tablets, for example...
Am I right? Does it happen to ya?

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4), upgraded for 4GB memo

Helpful Answersby fruhulda, PeterBreis0807

Tags: pages_09

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileLevel 6 (18,035 points)
PeterBreis0807 Australia
Re: Copy and paste web pages is worse in Mac Pages than it is in MS Word!!! Sep 21, 2010 8:58 AM ( in response to Andre Berger)

*Paste and Match Style* will force the pasted material to be just text. Don't use it.
Just do a regular Paste and it will mostly stay the same. It will try and fit oversize objects like graphics and try to make tables fit the space available.
To keep it as much like the web page give it lots of room.
Peter

May 12, 2013 6:52 PM in response to jimlivi

Hi Jim,

"As far as I know, you can not open a Word document from Pages. They are not compatible."

Is that a "dispraging comment"? It does seem to (falsely) disparage the capabilities of Pages. Having just done so, I do know that you can open a Word document using Pages. Admitedly, the document I opened was a pretty simple one—text only, some bolded, some with background colour (hilighted), and some bulleted lists.

This was a .docx document, but Pages will open .doc files as well.

Pages offered a 'missing font' warning, and substituted Lucida Grand for Calibri. That was expected, as Calibri is Microsoft's current default fot for Word, and I do not have that font installed.

Are the two applications (fully) compatible? No. There are Word features that are not supported in Pages, and there are Pages features that are not supported in MS Word.

Using Pages, participated with others, using MS Word (on PCs), in a revision and editing of bylaws for a society, during which the document underwent revision and commenting on both platforms, and produced the 'final' documant listing the original and revised version in two side-by-side columns for the meeting at which the membership voted to approve the bylaw amendments.

But if you're working with more complex documents than I was, and you're sharing the editing with people using Word, you're better off to use the same application as they are.

Regarding Peter's semingly contradictory responses:

These two responses are to different questions. Yours included the instruction to "Go to Format Heading and choose, "Make Plain Text"."

Peters response was that this excursion into Text Edit and change to plain text was an unnecessary 'run around', which could be accomplished more efficiently using Paste and match style directly into a Pages document.

He also noted that your recommendation to use Text boxes is an unnecessary step, if you are using a Pages word processing document. That's true. Pasted into a word processing document, the 'ton of text' will cause Pages to create as many new pages as needed to accomodate that text. Both Peter and Fruhulda were surprised that you chose to use page layout document as the receiver for the 'ton of text' you were pasting from a Word document. Considering that Word is primarily a word processing application (and that for 'a ton of text', a word processing application is more appropriate than one designed to produce single separate laid out pages, sowas I.

The earlier question/statement from Andre contained this: "even if I choose: "paste exaclty the same" (something like that in paste options) it loses the configuration, putting the text out of the tablets, for example...", and this is the part to which Peter's response recommending NOT using Paste and Match Style applied.

Note that Andre wanted to maintain the styled text used in the source material (where your described process deliberately removes that style by setting it to "plain text" in Text Edit). Using Paste and Match Style ignores any style set in the original, and matches the style set at the location of the insertion point on the (Pages) document into which the text is being pasted.

Different questions, different answers.

Regards,

Barry

May 12, 2013 7:16 PM in response to jimlivi

I hardly would remember something posted in a completely different context 3 years ago. What makes you expect anyone to follow what you are talking about, after a lapse of 3 years.

I answer thousands of questions here but am aware that I am not the centre of everyone's attention.

You did not state that you were attempting to paste all the material, including graphics and tables from a website into Pages, that is a different matter.

1. Paste and Match style will do what it says, it will strip off the formatting of the copied material, including graphics and table structure and paste clean text into Pages that assumes the style of the text at the location it was pasted.

2. You can Open Word documents from Pages, I don't know why you would say otherwise. There are caveats though because of the differences between the 2 programs not everything transfers across in either direction.

3. If you Copy and Paste material from the Web and want to retain the layout and styling, the page has to be big enough to fit the original layout and a great deal of the table and html/xml layout will be inserted in Pages and may need to be cleaned up.

4. Lastly Pages is a Word Processing application with a great deal of DTP features built in as well as Spreadsheets and Graphs. For that it is very useful.

You do not seem to understand what is going on. I am correcting what you post so others don't get similarly confused should they read this.

Peter

Jan 6, 2016 11:44 PM in response to kiv1924

HI kiv,

Considering that the topic of this 'forum' is copy/paste between MS Word documents and Pages documents, it's not too surprising the suggestion here doesn't apply to your question regarding copy/past from a web table to a Pages document.

To ease searching by future visitors with a similar question to yours, and to reduce their need to slog through messages whose suggestion "doesn't apply," please post your question as a New Topic.

Regards,

Barry

Problem with copy and paste from Word into Pages solved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.