Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing

Hi all

I am having problems connecting my mac to apple tv. My mac is telling me that home sharing is turned on but apple tv isnt picking it up. I can access everything else on apple tv like itunes store so i know there is an internet connection. Any help would be great.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 12, 2013 6:13 AM

1 reply

May 14, 2013 7:21 AM in response to f1lee

Hi f1lee,

Sorry you are having trouble getting your Home Sharing to work between your iMac and your Apple TV.

The article below will give you step-by-step directions to troubleshoot this issue.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing

These specific sections apply to your situation:

1. Set up Home Sharing on all devices

If you need help setting up Home Sharing, use the articles below. Read the articles for the devices or computers you are trying to use with Home Sharing:

2. Verify system requirements

Home Sharing requires a computer using the latest version of iTunes,* and one or more of the following devices on the same home network:

3. Check your Apple ID

Home Sharing requires all computers, iOS devices, and Apple TVs (2nd generation and 3rd generation) to use the same Apple ID.To verify your intended Apple ID is enabled on all of your devices:

On Apple TV, navigate to Settings > Computers and look in the bottom-left.

On your computer, open iTunes. Open the File menu and select Home Sharing. If the incorrect Apple ID is listed in iTunes, do the following:

1. Go to File > Home Sharing and choose Turn Off Home Sharing.
  2. Choose File > Home Sharing > Turn On Home Sharing.
  3. When prompted, enter the Apple ID you'd like to use.
  4. Click Turn On Home Sharing, then Done.

4. Check your network connection

Verify that:

• All your devices are connected to the same router, if you have multiple routers. Using multiple routers may prevent discovery between these devices.
  • If your computer is asleep or shutdown, or iTunes is closed, there's no access to the shared iTunes library. Wake up or start the computer and open iTunes to regain access to that library.
  • Your router needs to be up-to-date. If you are using an AirPort or Time Capsule, read this article to find out more about firmware updates. If you are using a router from another manufacturer, contact the manufacturer to inquire about available updates.

5. Check Firewall Settings

For Mac OS X, you don't have to edit the port addresses, but make sure the firewall in Apple () menu >System Preferences > Security > Firewall are not set to:

• Block all incoming connections
  • Allow only essential services

7. Restart your network router

Restart your home network router using the method recommended in documentation from the manufacturer. This may include disconnecting the power cord for thirty seconds or more.

Note: During this period, Internet services such as a VoIP-based phone will not work, and any additional routers may need to be reset in sequence.

8. Cannot access my library when my computer is asleep

In order for Apple TV to access your library while the host computer is asleep, "Wake for network access" must be turned on.

Open System Preferences > Energy Saver and select (enable) the "Wake for network access" option.

In addition, the network that the host computer and the Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) is connected to must support Wake on Demand feature. This works by partnering with a service running on your AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule called Bonjour Sleep Proxy.

Additional Information

Home Sharing cannot transfer or stream audiobook content purchased from Audible.com. See Audible.com for information on using their content with multiple devices.

For help understanding Home Sharing, see Understanding Home Sharing.

I hope this information helps ...

- Judy

Home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.