Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will this external HD be compatible with my iMac?

I'd like to buy this external hard drive here: http://www.amazon.de/Western-Digital-externe-Festplatte-FireWire/dp/B004VDR5XC/r ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366645010&sr=8-3&keywords=Western+Digital+My+Book+Studio- Festplatte+USB+3.0+mit+3%2C0+TB

The thing is, in the description they say that it's compatible with Leopard and Snow Leopard. I have the latest Mountain Lion. Do you believe this may cause a problem? I thought it might be because back then Snow Leopard was the latest OS, and since then the Amazon page hasn't been updated.

The exact same HD is for sale in the Apple online store. The difference is that the one on Amazon has FireWire 800, and the one in the Apple store USB 3.0. I'd like to buy the one from Amazon since my iMac does not have USB 3.0 sadly.

It's a 2011 27" iMac, Intel Quad Core i5. What do you think? Thanks 🙂

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 12, 2013 4:44 AM

19 replies

May 12, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Paul_31

I'm kind of confused now, what exactly does that mean, when they say it can't be booted? It means I can't use it for backups?

I guess the one I linked in the first post is the "My Book Studio Edition", and according to that list, it is only bootable on Intel Macs by USB, right?

That's very weird, I think they should mention that if they're selling such a product. Thanks for mentioning, very important for me 🙂

Also, I thought WD was supposed to be one of the best brands for HDs?

May 12, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Anon M

If it's only Firewire and no USB you can certainly use if for backups, via Time Machine or a cloning program such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

The bootable functionality is one of the advantages of a clone. If you're not using the disk as a clone then the bootable aspect is less important.

Going back to your original post - I have two WD external drives (not the type you referenced) a 'My Passport' and 'Elements'. Both are USB3, but are backwardly compatible to USB2 - I've got them both connected to a late 2009 27" iMac. Worth further checking as I suspect the one you mentioned which is USB3 would be as well.

May 12, 2013 1:09 PM in response to Paul_31

I still don't get the thing with the clones, etc. sorry I'm a newb at this 😟

Basically what I need it for is to store data, and probably I will also be using it for time machine (for backups).

The USB 3 one from the Apple site has USB 2 as well, as far as I know. The reason I wanted the FireWire one was because I don't have USB 3 and FireWire 800 is faster than USB 2 🙂 So I'm kind of trying to avoid USB 2, the fastest option for me really is FireWire (800).

May 12, 2013 1:15 PM in response to Anon M

Anon M wrote:

I still don't get the thing with the clones, etc.

It's all explained here. Regular cloning could save your life ! As the name suggests, a clone is an exact, complete copy of your entire hard drive, including all system files, hidden files, preferences, etc. as well as all your own stuff. All organised exactly as it is on your hard drive.

May 12, 2013 1:18 PM in response to Anon M

If it's just for storage and Time Machine Firewire is fine. If the drive is multi-purpose you'll need to partition it for Time Machine and storage separately.

A bootable clone is another method of making backups whereby it is an exact duplicate of your internal drive that, in the event of it needing replacing, you can just boot from the clone and duplicate it back onto the new replacement drive and be back where you were before the internal broke.

Either way, the important thing is that you have a backup, be it Time Machine or a clone. Many keep both Time Machine and Clones 😉. It's always good to have as bullet-proof a backup plan as possible.

May 18, 2013 7:21 AM in response to Paul_31

I see, so the clone also backs up system files and such, so that everything is the way it was before 🙂 And that's where problems can occur, if I understoof this correctly?

Isn't there an option to also backup preference files with Time Machine, then everything should work too, no?

I also have an old eMac. I'm not sure if this hard drive will be compatibel with it. But it doesn't start anymore, and I'd like to save all of the hard drive on the new external hard drive.

I'm still not sure if I should buy this or not 😟

Will this external HD be compatible with my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.