Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade from 10.8.3 to 10.8.2?

I've been having absolutely nothing but trouble since upgrading to 10.8.3. My Macbook Pro now has constant graphical glitches that culminate in the machine frezzing up entirely about 3-4 times per day, with the only recovery being a hard restart. This only started happening since upgrading to 10.8.3.

I've tried resetting both the PVRAM/NVRAM, as well as the SMC, and neither worked. I tried re-installing OS X, and that did not work. I tried re-booting into Safe Mode to see if that would make a difference, but the machine will not boot into Safe Mode, as the progress bar gets stuck forever about 1/4 of the way through.

So, how can I downgrade my machine back to 10.8.2? Please advise. Thank you!

P.S. For an idea of the kind of glitches I'm talking about, please see these videos I took of the problem happening on my machine:

http://youtu.be/YGae1ams0i8

http://youtu.be/tqO30pxdSOs

http://youtu.be/OIwSkIJduRc

P.S.S. Here is an image as well (this happens right before the user login screen comes up):

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 12, 2013 8:26 AM

11 replies

May 15, 2013 9:47 AM in response to baltwo

Took the machine to the Apple Store today, and they have no clue, other than the dumb advice to "Replace the logic board" (even though they are not sure the problem is caused by the logic board), or "Re-install from scratch", which would 1) Delete all of my data, and 2) Require me to restore from back-up, which would then presumably re-copy the bug back onto my system in the first place.

May 15, 2013 10:01 AM in response to Viper320

"Re-install from scratch", which would 1) Delete all of my data, and 2) Require me to restore from back-up, which would then presumably re-copy the bug back onto my system in the first place.

Re-installing doesn't delete data (unless you erase the partition), although you should keep a backup. Any bug is not likely to be in your data, but in the OS files. So, yes, reinstalling the OS is a sensible option.

And, I have to agree with William Lloyd, it looks more like a hardware issue, graphics section. If it's still under warranty/Apple Care, let them fix it.

May 15, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Lanny

Thank you for the replies. Here is some more information about what happened at the Apple Store today:

1) On my machine, we were able to make the problem happen immediately.

2) We booted a clean OS from an Apple store test external hard drive, onto my machine, and the problem did not happen.

3) We booted from my machine's HD onto another Macbook Pro (using Firewire/Target Disk Mode), and the problem did not happen.

May 15, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Lanny

I have already tried re-installing Mac OS X (the type of OS re-install that does not delete all my data), and it did not work. That's why the guy at the Apple Store then suggested a complete Erase Re-install.

Also, FYI, I cannot boot into Safe Mode; the progress bar gets 1/4 of the way through then freezes forever.

May 15, 2013 11:09 AM in response to Viper320

It's a process that removes the possibility of the influence of remnants/files from previously installed OS files.

The thought occurs to me that if you spent more time following the recommendations of people trying to help you, and less time making and posting videos for YouTube, you might have resolved your issue by now. IMHO.

Done, bye.

Downgrade from 10.8.3 to 10.8.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.