Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move iPhoto library from external HD to Mac (iPhoto 11)

I bought a new MacBook Pro last year (OSX 10.8.3) and decided to keep my iPhoto (11) library on an external HD rather than on the Mac to save space. Then when it came to backing everything up on Time Machine, the external HD containing the iPhoto library isn't Mac-formatted so Time Machine wouldn't back it up. Obviously I don't want to risk not keeping a back up of my photos so I'm looking for a solution ASAP!!

What is the best/safest way to copy my iPhoto library from the external HD to the Mac HD? I did try a straight forward copy and paste in Finder but it didn't seem to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated - thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on May 12, 2013 10:35 AM

1 reply

May 12, 2013 10:44 AM in response to siewz

Drag and drop it from the external HD to the internal.

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

How to move iPhoto library from external HD to Mac (iPhoto 11)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.