Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing yellow light on AirPort Express

This thing is less than a year old, and it worked perfectly at first - then it started giving me an error so I had to restart it almost every day. I stopped using it for a while, and now every time I try to set it up, it gives me a flashing amber light and these errors.

I go through the set-up process as normal and can connect to the wireless network I set up and the internet. However, the AirPort still flashes amber and in AirPort Utility I get these errors:

Ethernet Unplugged (it's not)

Internet Connection (it tells me to power cycle the modem, although I have an internet connection at present)

No DNS Servers

How do I fix this?

AirPort Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 12, 2013 11:16 AM

9 replies

May 14, 2013 8:25 AM in response to seaforanswers

Hello seaforanswers,

I was looking through our resorces about what might be going on here and found a great article for troubleshooting that flashing amber light. It is called Wi-Fi base station: Understanding and resolving a blinking amber status light and you can find it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1589.

How to resolve a blinking amber status light alert

Launch AirPort Utility to determine why your Wi-Fi base station status light is blinking amber. 
Apple recommends that you use AirPort Utility 5.5.2 for Mac, AirPort Utility 5.5.2 for Windows, or a newer version of AirPort Utility if one is available.

1. AirPort Utility 5.2 or later opens automatically if your Wi-Fi base station requires your attention. You may also choose to launch AirPort Utility at any time.
 Do not use any version of AirPort Utility earlier than 5.0.
    In Mac OS X, AirPort Utility is located in the Applications > Utilities folder.
    In Microsoft Windows, AirPort Utility can be located by clicking Start > All Programs > AirPort.
    Note: You may also locate and download the latest Wi-Fi base station firmware and software by clicking here.
  2. In the AirPort Utility window, locate your Wi-Fi base station and double-click on it to open the Summary window. Note: If you have more than one Wi-Fi base station, double-click on the icon for the Wi-Fi base station that has the amber circle next to it.
  3. When the Summary window appears, double-click the amber circle to the right of Wi-Fi base station Status to open the Status window.
  4. The Status window lists any conditions that require your attention. Respond to each item until there are no more items listed.
    Important
    : You must reset the Wi-Fi base station using the reset switch to re-enable checking for the conditions you ignored.
  5. Eliminating the blinking, amber status light may require making changes to a specific setting, or putting a checkmark in the "Ignore" checkbox beside any option you don't wish to change. A checkmark simply tells the AirPort that you are aware of the issue and you have chosen to ignore it. For example, you may wish to leave your AirPort open without a password so that anyone can join your wireless network.
  6. Click Update to apply your changes (the Wi-Fi base station will restart).
  7. After the Wi-Fi base station has restarted, the status light should be green and not blinking. If the status light stays amber in color and blinks after the Wi-Fi base station restarts, you may repeat the steps above.

Take care,

Sterling

Jun 2, 2013 7:17 PM in response to seaforanswers

I've been searching for the answer to this, too. I've been through all the steps that the troubleshooting article recommends, many many times, to no avail. Searching the threads on this site, I haven't found an answer that wasn't just replacing the unit. I have tested the modem, can connect directly to it with my computer, have swapped and tested the cables, and everything works except for these error messages from the Airport Extreme.

Jun 2, 2016 6:31 PM in response to seaforanswers

This is some time later June 2016 -

I have Airport Express and am running Mavericks.

I could not get rid of the flashing light until

I opened the AirPort Utility in the Applications folder and

got a notice that I needed a FIREWARE UPDATE !

It would not tell me that without going to the actual app icon in UTILITIES FOLDER! Stupid much !

Now what is wrong with Apple that when one does diagnostics 25 times

that it doesn't tell

one needs a firmware update is a completely mystery to me!

Sheesh !

Flashing yellow light on AirPort Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.