Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No space on startup disk? Problem with Mail?

Bought a new MacBook Pro Retina 15, 8mb ram. Recently when running Mail, it refuses to close when I quit the application. Worse, I get a window (screenshot attached) saying that I have no more space for running applications on my startup disk, even though just running Mail and Firefox. Any suggestions?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 12, 2013 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2013 2:03 PM

Your problem is excessive swapping of data between physical memory and virtual memory.

That can happen for two reasons:

• You have a long-running process with a memory leak (i.e., a bug), or
  • You don't have enough memory installed for your usage pattern.

Tracking down a memory leak can be difficult, and it may come down to a process of elimination.

In the Activity Monitor application, select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected. Click the heading of the Real Mem column in the process table twice to sort the table with the highest value at the top. If you don't see that column, select

View ▹ Columns ▹ Real Memory

from the menu bar.

If one process (excluding "kernel_task") is using much more memory than all the others, that could be an indication of a leak. A better indication would be a process that continually grabs more and more memory over time without ever releasing it.

The process named "Safari Web Content" renders web pages for Safari and other applications. It uses a lot of memory and may leak if certain Safari extensions or third-party web plugins are installed. Consider it a prime suspect.

If you don't have an obvious memory leak, your options are to install more memory (if possible) or to run fewer programs simultaneously.

The next suggestion is only for users familiar with the shell. For a more precise, but potentially misleading, test, run the following command:

sudo leaks -nocontext -nostacks process | grep total

where process is the name of a process you suspect of leaking memory. Almost every process will leak some memory; the question is how much, and especially how much the leak increases with time. I can’t be more specific. See the leaks(1) man page and the Apple developer documentation for details.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2013 2:03 PM in response to egragert

Your problem is excessive swapping of data between physical memory and virtual memory.

That can happen for two reasons:

• You have a long-running process with a memory leak (i.e., a bug), or
  • You don't have enough memory installed for your usage pattern.

Tracking down a memory leak can be difficult, and it may come down to a process of elimination.

In the Activity Monitor application, select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected. Click the heading of the Real Mem column in the process table twice to sort the table with the highest value at the top. If you don't see that column, select

View ▹ Columns ▹ Real Memory

from the menu bar.

If one process (excluding "kernel_task") is using much more memory than all the others, that could be an indication of a leak. A better indication would be a process that continually grabs more and more memory over time without ever releasing it.

The process named "Safari Web Content" renders web pages for Safari and other applications. It uses a lot of memory and may leak if certain Safari extensions or third-party web plugins are installed. Consider it a prime suspect.

If you don't have an obvious memory leak, your options are to install more memory (if possible) or to run fewer programs simultaneously.

The next suggestion is only for users familiar with the shell. For a more precise, but potentially misleading, test, run the following command:

sudo leaks -nocontext -nostacks process | grep total

where process is the name of a process you suspect of leaking memory. Almost every process will leak some memory; the question is how much, and especially how much the leak increases with time. I can’t be more specific. See the leaks(1) man page and the Apple developer documentation for details.

May 12, 2013 12:47 PM in response to egragert

Try closing Mail and see if you get that message.

I found a bug in Mountain Lion that makes Mail consume more and more memory when you read a mail there, making your computer slow if you read a lot. I would like to know if it's similar to your case. Also, when you have Mail opened, open "Activity Monitor" (it's in /Applications/Utilities) and have a look at the memory that Mail takes

May 12, 2013 12:54 PM in response to mende1

Hi, Thanks for reply. Often try to quite Mail but it just hangs at that point. Had earlier looked at Activity Monitor and about 80% of the CPU was being used by something, but it was not apparent by what. weird. Mail would dramatically spike periodically in the monitor, but was not consistently eating up more than 25% of the cpu. Looks to me like a bug/problem with Mail.

May 12, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

You were absolutely correct. Firefox kept adding and adding Real Mem, while open, even though I was not browsing. I eventually received the notice. Closing Firefox and using either Safari or Chrome solved the problem. How do I deal with the "leak" in Firefox. Should I trash my copy and download another one?

In any case, thanks. Very helpful.

No space on startup disk? Problem with Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.