Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4S is getting hot

My iPhone 4S is getting hot around the apple logo on the back. Do I need to be concerned?

iPhone 4S

Posted on May 12, 2013 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2013 3:52 PM

As with a computer, the iPhone's temperature will increase with more processor intensive activity. The same when charging the iPhone's battery and even more so while actively using the iPhone while the battery is being charged.

This occurs when doing what?

5 replies

May 12, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Today is the first time I've noticed it, and I've had the phone about 18 months. First, it is usually in a rubberized case, but, in this case, is not because it has been attached to my radio off and on today. I first noticed it when I had a 10-minute phone call. At the end of the conversation, I played a game (which appears to use quite a bit of power) and re-inserted it into the radio, which also charges the phone. When I removed it, about 20 minutes later, it was hot again (or still). This may have been going on for 18 months, but I have never noticed it.

May 12, 2013 4:15 PM in response to Suzannestegen

Normal for the iPhone to get warm as I provided.

And the iPhone will get even warmer with a rubberized case when doing processor intensive acitivities and when charging the iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Let It Breathe

Charging your iPhone while in certain carrying cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your iPhone gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first.

My iPhone 4S is getting hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.