Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing a wma file into iTunes

How can import this file and, if it requires converting the file first to a different format, how do I do that?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 12, 2013 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2013 1:57 PM

iTunes for OS X does not have the ability to import WMA files.

One issue I know about importing Windows Media Audio (wma) files is described here:

iTunes for Windows cannot import or play WMA files that are protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management (DRM). These files usually come from other online music stores. Additionally, Windows Media Player encodes CDs to protected WMA format by default, though you may change that setting.

Both the above come from this article:

Importing Windows Media Audio files with iTunes for Windows

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Leslie Bisno

iTunes for OS X does not have the ability to import WMA files.

One issue I know about importing Windows Media Audio (wma) files is described here:

iTunes for Windows cannot import or play WMA files that are protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management (DRM). These files usually come from other online music stores. Additionally, Windows Media Player encodes CDs to protected WMA format by default, though you may change that setting.

Both the above come from this article:

Importing Windows Media Audio files with iTunes for Windows

May 12, 2013 3:57 PM in response to ed2345

Thank you both. I've just got one song to convert, from a college production, and I suspect it isn't protected as you describe above. Nevertheless, it's not worth it for the one song to purchase EasyWMA, as I may have little use for it going forward. I can't see how to use my free Flip Player to burn it to disc and flip it to mp3. Do I need to get Windows Media Player for my Mac in order to do that?

In any case, I am using iTunes for Mac (not for Windows), as I am using a Mac. Any further advice?

Thanks!

May 12, 2013 6:47 PM in response to Leslie Bisno

I've never used a WMA to MP3 converter. But when I typed "WMA files to MP3" into Google, I got some results, one of which is below. I don't have any personal knowledge about the product, but I do trust CNET, and note the product is free.

Free WMA to MP3 Converter - CNET Download.com - CNET.com

UPDATE : OOPS - sorry, this looks like a Windows program. I'll post another response shortly with Mac software.

Importing a wma file into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.