Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to change default search engine from Google, Yahoo and Bing to something else in OS X 10.7.5 Lion?

Imagine inviting a friend over to your house and when you come back into the house from putting the garbage out you find your friend going through your dresser drawers or placing a secret camera somewhere in your house. Well this isn't much different from that. It's a betrayal of trust. And I hate it.

In OS X 10.7.5 Lion Safari>Preferences>General the default search engines are preset to either Google, Yahoo or Bing. I do not like any of them because they are all very invasive and the track and record your web browsing activities. Sure there is an "ask not to track me" box and a way o remove the "cookies and othere data" but none of those things work. Even Apple stores things on your computer. But does anyone know how to disable these preset default search engines? I don't SHOP online and I like my personal privacy.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 12, 2013 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2013 10:27 PM

If you install Glims it adds numerous other search engines and offers various other improvements to Safari. You select the search engine you would like to use and drag to the top of the list. Makes Safari much more configurable:

http://www.machangout.com/

You might also want to install the extension DoNotTrackMe.

11 replies

May 13, 2013 12:40 AM in response to davesnewlion

Right click on the downloaded file and select 'Open'. It's part of Apple's Gatekeeper security that is designed to prevent users opening software that isn't 'signed' by Apple.

You can change the preference in System Preferences>Security & Privacy> 'Allow applications downloaded from'. You'll probably need to unlock the preference by clicking on the padlock and inputting your admin password.

My preference is set to Mac App Store and identified developers, so I also often get the message you're seeing. So long as I'm happy to open the file I just do the 'right click and select open' thing.

Is there a way to change default search engine from Google, Yahoo and Bing to something else in OS X 10.7.5 Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.