Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes doesn't find Remote app devices

iTunes (11.0.2) is running in a Windows XP VM (host platform is Windows 7 x64).

The xp vm uses a shared nat connection to the host's network (which is wireless).

Remote app on iPod & iPhone is not being recognized.

iTunes runs fine for other purposes, but it never sees these devices' remote app

and it's not been possible to connect.

itunes has its library fully shared in preferences.

bonjour is running (apparently) on the VM.

What is needed to get the remote app devices visible to

iTunes? Is it not compatible with this kind of VM networking?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, also ipod touch ios 6.1.3

Posted on May 12, 2013 8:50 PM

12 replies

May 13, 2013 7:58 AM in response to diesel vdub

I sure don't know this protocol, but I believe you're at least partially wrong about

how the remote app works. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You start the remote app on the device - you get a code. It looks like this

is going to be a shared secret between the iTunes application & the device's remote app

instance. Anyway, whatever it is, it's the 1st step in their communication.

On iTunes, you are supposed to see File->devices->something

and that something should be the device's name - on iTunes you should

then be able to get a "receiver" to run so you can enter that code, then

the remote app should see the iTunes library.

This initial phase doesn't happen. The remote app is stuck waiting for the

code to be entered & whatever magic happens then in the protocol, & iTunes

doesn't see the devices.

May 13, 2013 11:27 AM in response to michaelhelm

michaelhelm wrote:

You start the remote app on the device - you get a code. It looks like this

is going to be a shared secret between the iTunes application & the device's remote app

instance. Anyway, whatever it is, it's the 1st step in their communication.

That is only for connecting without using the same Apple ID on the device and iTunes on the computer. If signed in with the same Apple ID there is no code necessary.

May 13, 2013 12:26 PM in response to diesel vdub

> That is only for connecting without using the same Apple ID on the device and iTunes on the

> computer. If signed in with the same Apple ID there is no code necessary.

Well I don't know what to say.

The remote app thinks it needs the code, because each device produces one.

All the devices & the iTunes instances are signed in with the same apple ID.

May 13, 2013 12:30 PM in response to michaelhelm

Are you certain you are running the latest (or atleast a current) version of iTunes?

Setting up Remote app

Remote app 2.0 or later uses Home Sharing for setup and control with iTunes 10.0.1 and/or Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation).

iTunes (10.0.1 or later)

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
  2. iTunes 11 or newer: Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes by going to File > Home Sharing> Turn on Home Sharing.
    iTunes 10.7 or older: Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes by going to Advanced > Turn on Home Sharing.
  3. Connect iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Wi-Fi network that is connected to the local network that your Mac or PC is also connected to.
  4. Open the Remote app (software version 2.0 or later) on your mobile device.
  5. Turn on Home Sharing in the Remote Settings screen. Make sure to sign into the same Home Sharing account you used to sign in to from iTunes on your computer.

Once Home sharing is enabled for both your computer and your mobile device, Remote app will be be able to view and control audio and video playback in your iTunes library.

If you're running iTunes software version 9.2.1 or earlier, or have an Apple TV (1st generation), Remote app must be paired with your iTunes library or Apple TV using a pin-based pairing method in order to control content playback. Follow the instructions below to pair Remote app with iTunes (9.2.1 or earlier) on your computer, or with your Apple TV (1st generation).

iTunes (9.2.1 or earlier)

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
  2. Connect iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Wi-Fi network that is connected to the local network that your Mac or PC is also connected to.
  3. Open the Remote app on your mobile device.
  4. Select Add an iTunes Library in the Remote settings screen.
  5. Remote app will display a 4 digit passcode. In iTunes select the name of your iPhone or iPod touch in the Devices list and enter the passcode.

Remote app will be paired with iTunes and you can begin browsing your library using Remote app and select a piece of content to play.

May 13, 2013 5:49 PM in response to diesel vdub

Everything is up to date as I mentioned in the original message.

I did exactly this before, & it didn't work at all.

This time, the iphone seems to start to see the shared library, but after a while it gives

up and says "Could not find <host>'s library" and a pop up window says check the network

settings. Sorry, nothing interesting to see there.

The ipod still doesn't see anything.

Sep 11, 2013 1:48 AM in response to michaelhelm

I recently had the same problem with a PC (not using VM). I've had no problem with my MacBook Pro and Apple TV devices.

I managed to fix it by going into the Sharing Tab in Edit>Prefernces and then checking the 'Share my library on my local network' box (as highlighted in the previous posts, you'll need Home Sharing turned on).

It appears the updates to iTunes unchecked this option for me in an upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2015 10:25 AM in response to cori.jackson

The answer was to completely remove iTunes from my Windows 7 or 8 PC following the detailed instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275. After following the iTunes removal instructions to the letter and reinstalling iTunes the remote connection from my iPad Air 2 worked fine. I did have to log out of and re-enable Home Sharing in the new iTunes install on my Windows 7 PC. I had the latest iOS on my iPad and most up to date version of iTunes. In both cases the ITunes on my computer, and the setup in setting on the iPad for the Music and Video Settings use the exact same user ID and password for enabling home sharing, this should be the same apple id used to enter and make purchases in the iTunes store. If you consistently use the same apple ID password in remote and ITunes and when enabling home sharing in iTunes on you PC as well as all the locations on you iPad no pairing code is required. If all the Apple ids and passwords are the same and you still can't get the remote app to work with ITunes on the PC via Wi-Fi I would suggest the complete removal and reinstall of iTunes from you computer as described at Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

iTunes doesn't find Remote app devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.