Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A small problem!

Hi all. I have a Mac Pro Intel 1st Gen. (quad). My computer has 4 Hard drives with one of them being the latest adition and empty. Lately the boot up time is geting longer and longer. I tried almost everything, from the Software side (cleaning-permissions-rebuilding) and the Hardware side (running tests on my hardware-no erros) to no avail. It is still booting up slow. It was suggested to me that my Hard Drive that has the operating system (it is the boot volume) is tired. It is the one that came originaly with the computer so it is 7 years old I guess. I was thinking of doing a fresh install of my Lion in my empty new HD and then move the programms I need there. I need your help to advise which you think is the best way to do it (I do not want to use my back up as I might have software problems in the current configurtion) and also if the boot drive needs to be in slot number 1 or not.

Your help and advise will be much appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 16 GB Ram

Posted on May 12, 2013 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2013 12:52 AM

Attempt to copy whole boot HDD to new one with CCC(Carbon Copy Cloner) or the like sofiware, then select boot drive with reference-> boot drive to boot from new drive.

You don't need to care about drive slot, it boots wherever if the drive is installed OS.

-- kaz-k

1 reply

A small problem!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.