Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not showing in Events

Whenever I go to Events I can see each event with 1 photo but when I click on the event there are no photos there. - Completelty blank- no error message Runnning cursor over event shows other pictures there and they do appear under the "photo" view Running iPhoto 11 ver 9.4.3

What should I do please?

Thaks in advance

Rick

😕

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2), MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S Air, iPad 2

Posted on May 13, 2013 8:39 AM

14 replies

May 13, 2013 9:42 AM in response to RickAu

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with Option #3, followed by #4 and then #1 as needed.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File âž™ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

May 15, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad,

Thank you

Fix 1 did not work

Fix 2 iPLM does NOT show File _ rebuild library

Under file it shows

New Library

Add Library

Duplicate library

Open Library

Create shortcut

Close Window

Which should I use? I have been here before and have ended up with several libraries. Are the libaries just new indexes or do they duplicate the photos and use up storage space?

Thanks

Rick

May 18, 2013 2:26 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi again,

So I have done that. In IPLM he rebuilt shows 28594 photos and the original 28637 When I look in iPhoto it shows 28535 so I appear to have lost a few ????

How do I start seeing the rebuilt version in iPhoto AND most importantly are these just indexes of the photos so I can delete the original? I have had to rebuild several times before so I now have several versions available to me and it is getting confusing

HOW do I do that WITHOUT deleting the photos themselves?

Thanks for your invaluable help

Rick

May 18, 2013 8:10 AM in response to RickAu

To open different libraries you can either use iPLM or launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the library in the window that appears:

User uploaded file

If the rebild has been going on longer than you think necessary open the Terminal applicattion and enter:

killall iPhoto Library Manager

This will close iPLM and andy files that may be open.

May 18, 2013 9:34 AM in response to RickAu

Can I delete the older ones (i.e. the non-rebuilt ones) without losing photographs?

Once you verify that the rebuilt libraries contain all of your photos you can delete the older libraries.

If you intend to use iPhoto Library Manager to search for and indentify duplicates for removal you'll have to use iPLM (the paid version) to merge your libraries into one library.

May 20, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi again,

I have now opened the rebuilt library in iPhoto and it only contains 3,040 photos down from the 28637 I started with.

I am not plannning to check for duplicates in IPLM I have an application called Gemini for that.

Is it possible that the free version of IPLM cannot handle the large number of photos I am asking it to process?

Thanks

Rick

May 20, 2013 9:57 AM in response to RickAu

The library is damaged and can only link to those few photos. Try this with the library that only shows 3040 photos:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

If this recovers all of you photos you can use it even though slideshows, books, etc. will not be recovered if you like.

Warning: Gemini is designed to find uplicates on the hard drive and remove them. However, it does not tell iPhoto that it's removing the files so the iPhoto sql database reflects that removal. The only file removal apps that do that correctly are: iPhoto Library Manager, Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto, Duplicate Annihilator or iPhoto Applescript to Remove Duplicates

Photos not showing in Events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.