Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using an airport express to extend network

I currently have an airport Extreme (the first generation that supported both 5 and 2Ghz 802.11n) at one end of my house that is positioned in my office where having the clear access to the wifi is good and right next to the FIOS router closest to the entry point of the home for the FIOS, eliminating any extra noise or disruption giving me the fastest throughput for my network to the Internet. The problem is I have a home theatre at the other end of the house, through multiple sets of sheetrock walls and on the other side of a previously external brick wall, the network is abysmal there.

I have a 3rd generation (802.11n capable, 2.4Ghz only) airport express, my problem is that I've tried using it to extend my network and that brick wall, no matter how close I get the express to the room, the signal and throughput in that room becomes abysmal. I've also had issues with this configuration to maintain in a wireless "n" configuration and maintain transmit speeds. I have resolved to running a wire to that room to install a jack and it won't be too difficult. Here's my problem, I don't think the express supports "extending" a network from a wired network jack. The jack just seems to be shut off. Do I need to create a whole new wireless network in this room for this configuration to work? If I have an apple TV connecting to the express and an AppleTV connecting to the extreme, will they both be visible when connected wirelessly to either network? Will I be able to connect to my network seemlessly?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 13, 2013 1:11 PM

6 replies

May 13, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Mistrblank

I have a 3rd generation (802.11n capable, 2.4Ghz only) airport express, my problem is that I've tried using it to extend my network and that brick wall, no matter how close I get the express to the room, the signal and throughput in that room becomes abysmal.

As you might imagine, brick is a lot like cement, and it will not allow much of the wireless signal through.

Regarding your Express, there is no such thing as a 3rd Generation model....yet. You likely have a 1st Generation AirPort Express. Check and confirm the Model No on the side of the Express. A 1st Gen model is A1264.

Here's my problem, I don't think the express supports "extending" a network from a wired network jack.

The Express can "extend" wirelessly, or using an Ethernet connection. The configuration for this is very simple, but post back if you need it.

The jack just seems to be shut off

Have you temporarily turned off the wireless on a laptop and tried to connect it using an Ethernet cable to the wall jack as a "test"?

If you can get a good Internet connection this way, then you know the Ethernet cabling and jack are working correctly.

On the other hand, if you cannot get an Internet connection on the laptop during this "test", then this indicates that the Ethernet cable or jack is not functioning correctly and the wiring will need troubleshooting before you can proceed any further.

I need to create a whole new wireless network in this room for this configuration to work?

AirPort Setup will take care of this for you automatically during the configuration of the AirPort Express.

If I have an apple TV connecting to the express and an AppleTV connecting to the extreme, will they both be visible when connected wirelessly to either network?

Yes

Will I be able to connect to my network seemlessly?

Yes

Post back after you have confirmed that the Ethernet cable and Ethernet jack are functioning correctly in the temporary "test" mentioned above. Then, we will continue.

Jul 4, 2013 1:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi

I have a similar problem to the OP and I have been searching for a solution when I came upon this thread. I hope you don't mind if I jump on board.

My main router is a 2nd Generation Time Capsule. I also have a 1st Gen (802.11n) Airport Express Model A1264 which I have successfully been using to wirelessly extend my network in another room. I understand that it would be better if the AE was connected to the existing network via ethernet so I have installed powerline in the room where it is located. I tested the powerline ethernet connection using my MacBook as you suggested and it is working fine. However when I plug in the network cable and restart the AE things seem to go wrong. On one occassion it stopped at the flashing amber stage. Whenever I did get it to the solid green light stage then nothing would connect wirelessly to the network in that room. It was as if the AE was not acting as an access point. Not only that but when I took my iPad back into the room where the Time Capsule is located it was unable to connect to the network there. When I remove the network cable from the AE and restart it then everything works fine again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jul 4, 2013 1:26 PM in response to El Morche

However when I plug in the network cable and restart the AE things seem to go wrong.

That would be expected, since the Express was previously configured to use a wireless connection and it now sees an Ethernet connection. The Express is very confused, and does not know what to do, so it crashes.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Express, but leave the Express powered on.

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 9-10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Plug the Ethernet connection back into the Express

Wait 60 seconds

On your iPad, tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for a listing of Set up an AiPort Base Station

Tap AirPort Extreme below the heading

AirPort Setup will take a minute to analyze the network then announce that the Express will be configured to extend the Time Capsule.

Click Next

Now notice that AirPort Setup is saying that the Express will be configured to extend the Time Capsule using Ethernet

When you see the message that the Express is extending the Time Capsule, tap Done. You are done.

Jul 4, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

I've gone through the process but at the end it said something to the effect that the Airport Express was now extending my network wirelessly rather than by ethernet. I hit "Done" and now the amber light is flashing slowly.

Airport Utility on the iPad has a red dot with a 1 in it beside the Airport Express.

I'll have another go but in the meantime if you have any ideas ...

using an airport express to extend network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.