Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant add jabber account to messages app

Hi,

When I try to add a new account to Messages the only option for an account is yahoo. My other machines allow jabber, aim etc but the only option i get on this machine is yahoo.

Perhaps the preferences have gone awal I have tried deleting them in the library to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

CC

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 13, 2013 4:05 PM

13 replies

May 13, 2013 8:42 PM in response to ccalabro

First, make sure that Parental Controls are not enabled for the account. If not, continue.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 11, 2013 2:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same issue as ccalabro. When I try to add a new account to Messages i can only choose Yahoo as Account type.

I followed your instructions and booted in safe mode. I still had the problem. After rebooting as usual the problem was still there.

I also added my gmail Account at System Preferences -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tried to activate messages from there, but an error pop-up window came up, which said "an unknown error occured."

Jul 11, 2013 12:40 PM in response to Puzzlez

HI,

If you Open the Console App (Applications/Utilities) does this any lines about the Messages app that relate to the same time you tried this ?

As you were using Mail, Contacts and Calendars you may find something under Internet Accounts.

Have you done any of Linc's suggested tests ?

Is or has Parental Controls been On ?

Does booting into Safe Mode and then restarting change anything ?

User uploaded file
8:40 PM Thursday; July 11, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 18, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Puzzlez

Hi,

I check my Console App and the System Log and used "dataclass" as a filter and found I had some noting this item as well going back to the last day of May.

Although I don't know what it refers to I would tend not to worry about as my Messages is working OK even with this.

Try this.

In Finder window go to the Go Menu > Go to Folder.

Copy and Past the following into the Dialogue box

~/Library/Preferences

In the Preferences find com.apple.ichat.plist

Drag it to the Trash and Restart Messages (this will recreate the .plist from scratch)

User uploaded file
8:46 PM Thursday; July 18, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 19, 2013 12:00 PM in response to Puzzlez

Hi,

Can you open your Hard Drive icon and then navigate to Library/Messages ?

That is to say open a Finder window where you can see Applications, Library, System and Users and open the Library one and then go to the Messages folder.

In here are the plugins for the account types.

You should have AIM, Bonjour, Jabber and Yahoo

Do you have all types ?

User uploaded file
7:59 PM Friday; July 19, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 19, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Puzzlez

HI,

Can you select them in turn and do a "Get Info" on them ? (CMD and i Keys together)

They should be Read And Write for the System and list Wheel (Read Only) and everyone (Read Only)

Unlocking the padlock and then using the cogwheel icon the System should be the Owner (It will be Greyed Out by say "Make "System" the Owner").

If it is not the absence of these plugins or the ownership/Permissions of them and as it was not corrected by deleting the main com.apple.ichat.plist I would suggest the only things that will fix it is a Restore of the OS.

User uploaded file
8:59 PM Friday; July 19, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

cant add jabber account to messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.