7 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 4:18 PM by Linc Davis
medchemist Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I power up my my Macbook Pro it automatically goes to a Mac OS X Utilities screen. I have upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I don't want to loose the data that is on the hard drive so is there a way to fix this issue without losing everything on the hard drive? I'm a rookie so need detailed instructions.  Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (250,665 points)

What utilities screen? Can you post an image here? Have you checked Login Items in Accounts preferences?

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (154,655 points)

It sounds like you installed Snow Leopard over an existing Lion installation without repartitioning. Launch Disk Utility from the main window. Does it show a volume named "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you named your startup volume)?

• medchemist Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Linc,

I opened the Disc Utilities and verified and ran disk repair and am getting the following messages. The computer is making faint clicking sounds when it is booting up/working that I did not notice before.  I am able to get to the firewire screen if I reboot holding down the "T" key so I'm hoping that I can connect to another mac with firewire and get files off of the computer before restoring or if my hard drive is dying.  I have pasted the image that I get after the disk repair.photo.JPG

Am I toast?

Thanks!

Hi Kappy,

This is the only screen that I can get to when I power up (unless I hold down the "T" key when booting to get to the Firewire symbol).  See my reply to Linc.

Thanks

image.jpeg

The drive has malfunctioned. What backups do you have?

What do you mean the hard drive is broken? No backups so I will try to recover the files.

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is unable to fully boot. You need an external hard drive to hold the backup data.

1. Boot from the Recovery partition or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) Launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article, under “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility.”

2. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, boot the non-working Mac in target disk mode. Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive. This technique won't work with USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth.

3. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.