Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Olympus Viewer3 and iPhoto problem

After upgrading to Olympus Viewer 3 I now get the dreaded notice when I try to open iPhoto '11: "Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable."

Nothing is working to restore the iPhoto Library, including trying to rebuild the Library using iPhoto Library Manager. I assume the Library is corrupted beyond repair, but I'd like to find out what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Any suggestions?

Brian

iPad 2, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 13, 2013 7:17 PM

14 replies

May 14, 2013 9:18 AM in response to azartguy

Launch Activity Monitor (located in the Applicatrions/Utilities folder) and see if there's any process with Olympus in the title running. If so quit the process and try iPhoto again.

If you are going to use iPhoto you don't need Olymput Viewer. OV is a file management application which shouldn't be used with iPhoto. You should pick one and stick with it.

OT

May 14, 2013 12:29 PM in response to léonie

Léonie, here's my workflow, but keep in mind I shoot in ORF (the Olympus proprietary RAW format), and need a RAW conversion program:

1. Camera files download to Mac (usually into a prepared dated/named folder on the desktop)

2. Select "keeper" images and trash the rest

3. Open ORF/RAW images in Olympus Viewer

4. Convert selected ORF/RAW to TIFF or JPEG and save to desktop folder

5. Open files in Photoshop CS4 to edit

6. Save edited TIFF files back to desktop folder

7. Tag in filename with "smart album" words

8. Load folder with original ORF/RAW files and edited TIFF versions into iPhoto '11

9. Move original desktop folder into Pictures Folder for backup with TM

Brian

May 14, 2013 12:35 PM in response to azartguy

8. Load folder with original ORF/RAW files and edited TIFF versions into iPhoto '11

exactly how do you do this?

And I woudl sugges tthat you stop after conversion and saving to the desktop - import that into iPhoto and set PS as the external editor for iPhoto - do your PS editing that way letting iphoto keep track of the versions and simplfying your work flow and saving disk space

LN

May 14, 2013 12:38 PM in response to azartguy

What model of Olympus camera are you using? If it's supported by Apple you can import directly into iPhoto and edit with Photoshop from inside iPhoto as follows:

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

Your Step 8 statment indicates that you can import the raw file into iPhoto;

If that's so you don't need any 3rd party software.

May 14, 2013 4:56 PM in response to Old Toad

"And I would suggest that you stop after conversion and saving to the desktop - import that into iPhoto and set PS as the external editor for iPhoto - do your PS editing that way letting iphoto keep track of the versions and simplfying your work flow and saving disk space"

LN

"What model of Olympus camera are you using? If it's supported by Apple you can import directly into iPhoto and edit with Photoshop from inside iPhoto"

OT

LN & OT, you'be both suggested something I never was aware of. I assumed I needed a third-party converter (OM-D files). I'm going to try it out. If this works, this solves simplifies my workflow immensly. I will report back, and thanks to both of you,

Brian

May 14, 2013 5:30 PM in response to azartguy

LN,OT: I tried this but it won't work with Olympus RAW (ORF) files.

I can import ORF files into iPhoto, and then open them in PS4, but only as JPEG files. If I select the preference to open as RAW, PS4 can't open ORF files (and that's why I've been converting them to TIFF), so I'm back where I started, because Viewer won't convert export TIFF directly to iPhoto.

I'm assuming that Aperture is to iPhoto as PS Elements is to the full PS? If so, and Aperture does support ORF, then that may be my only alternative.

Thanks, we tried, but I think most of these products are designed for JPEG processing.

Brian

May 14, 2013 5:45 PM in response to azartguy

iPhoto supports your camera accroding to what yu say - it is PS4 that does not

Why do you want to use RAW in PS4 - in theory a JPEG is lower quality that a TIFF but I've seen very few times that anyone could see it - and since iphoto uses lossless editing (not available with external editors of course) when you edit in iPhoto you are always referencing the original - you never have generational loss - consider inproting to iPhoto and editing in iPhoto (or Aperture if you wnat the extra controls - most users give up PS after switching to Aperture)

LN

May 14, 2013 7:19 PM in response to LarryHN

LN, You guys have been very helpful, but I'm afraid you've got this one wrong. There is no "lossless" JPEG file; all JPEGs are compressed. It may appear lossless within iPhoto, but in my case the JPEG rendering is 5MB, the original RAW file is 14MB.There are lossless JPEG conversion programs, but those are JPEG > JPEG; once the RAW data is converted to JPEG, it is compressed and once lost, that data cannot be recovered.

Whether you 'need' that data to produce high quality images is a bit more subjective; for onscreen viewing, you don't. But if you want the most latitude in post processing, want to adjust white balance, dynamic range and optimize the image quality, you need to work in a lossless 16-bit file format (really 12-bit, but that's a separate issue).

Brian

May 14, 2013 9:05 PM in response to azartguy

I did not say lossless compression - I said lossless editing

You are somewhat behind the state of the art in processing

and since iphoto uses lossless editing

Yes as I said in theory a JPEG is lower quality than a TIFF - but not enough to make any difference - in other words the compression causes virtually no data loss - it only squeezes out redundant, unecessary bits

in theory a JPEG is lower quality that a TIFF but I've seen very few times that anyone could see it

IMHO your best route is to move to Aperture and use it - it also has lossless editing (note the word is editing) like iPhoto it will let you have full control of your RAW files - while it can certainly be argued forever I maintain that having the RAW file in Aperture and editing in Aperture will in most cases give you the best end result - few edits require more capabilities that it has

The work flow is much less convoluted and the results will be better

and the issues that caused you to open this thread would not have ever happened

LN

May 14, 2013 10:45 PM in response to LarryHN

LN, the devil is in the details.

Yes, you are correct that iPhoto has lossless editing. My mistake in not making myself clear in the way I phrased my comments. However, all data is not created equal and all file formats are not equal. The data that is edited, exported and output from a JPEG iteration is less than what can be extracted in the final output from the RAW>TIFF or RAW>PS or even RAW>GIMP process.

If you take a RAW data file and throw half of it away, everything that is discarded is not 'unnecessary' or 'redundant.' There may be data in the clipped highlights or plugged shadows that can be extracted, manipulated and used to render an image with higher quality. Maybe I don't have the skill to do it, but it's still doable.

It can be argued, as you do and as do countless photographers do around the digital world, that there is no perceived difference in output among formats. That may, or may not, be true. But what can't be argued is that there is no actual difference in the format-bound data and what can be done with (some of) that data.

Brian

May 15, 2013 6:48 AM in response to azartguy

Again we agree on everything

In fact there is reduntant data in most photos that can be removed with zero loss and nearly redundant data that can be removed with so little loss that it is imaterial - As I said every time in theory a JPEG is lower quality in in practice it is just fine for almost every use

However you do what you want - I do not caer and I certainly do not want to agrue when we are in total agreement

Again since iPhoto handles your RAW just fine you can use it or Aperature (which I expect will do nearly all the editing you want - and you can set either to save edites as 16 bit TIFFs rather than JPEGS if that makes you feel good and get the results you want with out the convoluted work flow and the problems that created this thread

And since it is PS that is not handling the RAW you probably need a PS upgrade or Adobe support

But if you prefer that work flow then continue

LN

Olympus Viewer3 and iPhoto problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.