To get a feel for your problem we will need to know;
- the format of your project, including what codec you are rendering to;
- the format of your vision;
- also if your Event and Project are on your internal HDD or an external HDD and how the external is connected to your Mac.
- How much free space is on the drive;
- You might also check the speed of your drive using the Blackmagic Speed Test app, this will tell you what video your drive is capable of playing back.
It also says "To improve performance do the following:" But there are no instructions after that.
Certainly leaves a lot to the imagination…
Just to add to the suggestions of others, go into FCP Preferences and see that Playback is set to Best Perrformance.
THank you all for your replies. It seems that I had the preferences set so that playback used a proxy, yet I also had it set that on import it did not create a proxy. Not sure how this is possible but I changed it to Best Performance (on original or enhanced) and the message is now not showing.
Thank you all!