Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable automatic login at captive portal.

Hello,

how can i disable the automatic login for captive portals?

We are going to use about 2000 iPhones and iPads (or the similar Windows / Android) in our company to access the local network wireless. For the use of internet, there is a captive portal for those users who are permitted to use the internet.

The problem is, that the iPhones and iPads, we are testing right now, are not login to the wireles network without opening the captive portal.

When we press "cancel", the wireless connection is offline again.

We are also testing Surface Tablets and Nexus actually, and they work as expected.

Nokia phones (Windows) and Samsung phones (Android) are also working.

This Problem seems to be only with Apple products.

I hope there will be a solution for that without Jailbreaking. Jailbreaking is no option.

iPad, iOS 6.1

Posted on May 14, 2013 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2013 5:45 PM

Yeah, captive portal hasn't worked right since iOS v5 ... I don't think there is anyone at Apple that has a clue what they are doing in this regard.

In many cases the captive portal page comes up fine, but having a button that says "Login" in the upper right I belive is confusing/useless to end-users. Not all captive portals require you to "login" to anything.

In some cases simply that fact that your browser redirects you to the captive portal page, and the user has seen it, is enough to trigger that device as authorized to surf. In other cases you get redirected to the captive portal page and then simply need to click on the "I agree" or an "Accept" button on the site, then your authorized to surf - still Apple presents the "Login" button which I don't know what I'm supposed to make of that.

You might try touching the "Login" button, as about 3 out of 5 times it will work, and then the device will then "realize" it is on the Internet.

Nobody else "captive portal detector" is as messed up as Apple's. Everything works without a hiccup on Andriod and Windows phone!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2013 5:45 PM in response to SaschaH1

Yeah, captive portal hasn't worked right since iOS v5 ... I don't think there is anyone at Apple that has a clue what they are doing in this regard.

In many cases the captive portal page comes up fine, but having a button that says "Login" in the upper right I belive is confusing/useless to end-users. Not all captive portals require you to "login" to anything.

In some cases simply that fact that your browser redirects you to the captive portal page, and the user has seen it, is enough to trigger that device as authorized to surf. In other cases you get redirected to the captive portal page and then simply need to click on the "I agree" or an "Accept" button on the site, then your authorized to surf - still Apple presents the "Login" button which I don't know what I'm supposed to make of that.

You might try touching the "Login" button, as about 3 out of 5 times it will work, and then the device will then "realize" it is on the Internet.

Nobody else "captive portal detector" is as messed up as Apple's. Everything works without a hiccup on Andriod and Windows phone!

May 14, 2013 11:04 PM in response to JPElectron

I always thought that Apple is selling so much, because their stuff is nearly perfect. But actually, after three weeks of testing iPhone and iPad against Windows 8/RT and Android, it occurs to me, that it must be something else... ;-)

Anyway, if there's no fix for that, than we will drop Apple immediately, because this is one of the major features we need.

Thank you!

Disable automatic login at captive portal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.