Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discrepancy between iPhoto and its package contents

I am using OS X version 10.5.8 and iPhoto '09 version 8.1.2.

When I go into iPhoto Package Contents, some pictures that show up in my iPhoto do not show up in the Package Contents (neither the Original or Modified folders). I have done a search of 4 pictures in particular and could only find 1 of them in the package contents, even though all 4 of them show up in iPhoto.

And, oddly enough, the total number of pictures that iPhoto shows is 23,780, but when I total up the images within the Originals folder is 25,191.

So, some pictures seem to be missing from the package contents but for some reason, the package contents shows more pictures than iPhoto shows.

I thought the package contents was supposed to be exactly what was in iPhoto. Any idea what I am missing or what could be wrong?

(The reason I am even looking in package contents is because I am working on backing up all my pictures, but my external hard drive is not formatted for iPhoto since it is used by others that don't use Apple products so I was accessing package contents simply to copy the Originals folder to our external hard drive. I wasn't making any changes to the package contents).

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 14, 2013 6:31 AM

4 replies

May 14, 2013 6:52 AM in response to kmurray1231

I am not sure what you are seeing

but

some pictures that show up in my iPhoto do not show up in the Package Contents (neither the Original or Modified folders).

That simply is not possible - you could have imported some without copying them to the iPhoto library (This is strongly not recommended) so you only have an alias in the library rather than the photo - but iPhoto can not display an image that dose not have either the image or a link in its library

In iPhoto is yoru iPhoto trash empty?

LN

May 14, 2013 7:38 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you for responding.

I have only ever imported photos the same way...plug my camera in, iPhoto starts, click Import. So, I am not sure how I could have imported some without copying them to the iPhoto library.

And, the ones that are missing are ones from the same day (for example, one in particular is from a trip to Spain. iPhoto shows 360 pictures in the Event, package contents only shows 272 pictures and even when I search for the one picture I know is missing by image number, nothing comes up).

And, yes, my trash in iPhoto is empty.

I am at such a loss and have no idea how to solve this. But, I appreciate your input.

May 14, 2013 8:09 AM in response to kmurray1231

Again - if the photos shows in Photo then it is in your iPhoto library - not sure why yo are not finding it but it is there - but that is one of the problems with doing unsupported things

And what you are doing is unsupported and dangerous - you should not be mucking around in the iPhoto library for any reason

If you want a backup of your photos (rather than a backup of your iPhoto library - which you must always have) then select the photos in iPhoto and export to the desired location - see this user tip for details of the options available to you during export

LN

Discrepancy between iPhoto and its package contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.