Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't open to 'all windows from last session'

Safari is set to open to 'all windows from last session' - but it opens to a blank page. Not every time, but 75%+. I usually have multiple tabs open, not always the same ones, and this is slow, annoying and tedious to frequently reconstruct where I left it.

Any ideas?

I just moved to a MacBook from Windows and I am surprised to have an issue like this crop up so quickly (or well ever - based on Apple's reputation, that is - and all the glowing things my firends and associates have told me)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 14, 2013 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2013 8:26 PM

Open a Finder window. From the menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy / paste the following:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

BTW, if you enable the Develop menu you can empty the Safari cache easily instead of having to go through your user library.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Then from the Safari menu bar top of your screen, click Develop > Empty Caches

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2013 8:26 PM in response to cashcc

Open a Finder window. From the menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy / paste the following:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

BTW, if you enable the Develop menu you can empty the Safari cache easily instead of having to go through your user library.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Then from the Safari menu bar top of your screen, click Develop > Empty Caches

Aug 11, 2014 1:15 PM in response to cashcc

Upgraded to OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 two days ago, and with that inherited a problem with the "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" feature. Before the upgrade, Safari would ask if I was sure to quit N amount of windows when quitting, and during next session would allow me to "reopen all windows from last session". In the new version of Safari (7.0.5) this option does not work.

Tried emptying caches and plug-ins as mentioned in other threads with similar problem, but the problem persists. Thanks for getting back on this!

Safari won't open to 'all windows from last session'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.