Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a 2012 Mac Mini to a 27inch 2010 iMac using a minidisplay to minidisplay cable?

I am going to buy a Mac Mini 2012, and I am wondering if I can use the imacs at my school as external monitors.

They have Minidisplay port and the mac mini has thunderbolt.

I have read a few places that a minidisplay double male cable will connect the imac as a monitor using the command+F2 hotkey.

However, Apple representatives in chat have said that thunderbolt macs can only be connected to thunderbolt displays and minidisplay can only be connected to minidisplay.

I have also read that minidisplay imacs can be used as monitors for thunderbolt equipped macs but ONLY if you use a double male minidisplay cable as opposed to a thunderbolt cable. I just want to clear this up so I know whether I can use my Mac Mini at school. Thanks a lot.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 14, 2013 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2013 6:35 AM

Hello ian49,

The following article contains tons of useful information regarding "Target Display Mode."

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

What are the requirements for TDM?

• A Mac notenook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt connection
  • A ThunderBolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
  • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.
iMac Model Cable Supported Port on Target Computer
iMac (27-inch Late 2009) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch Mid 2010) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt

All the best,

Allen

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2013 6:35 AM in response to ian49

Hello ian49,

The following article contains tons of useful information regarding "Target Display Mode."

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

What are the requirements for TDM?

• A Mac notenook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt connection
  • A ThunderBolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
  • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.
iMac Model Cable Supported Port on Target Computer
iMac (27-inch Late 2009) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch Mid 2010) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt

All the best,

Allen

Can I connect a 2012 Mac Mini to a 27inch 2010 iMac using a minidisplay to minidisplay cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.