Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vizio via HDMI issue Please Wait... No Signal

I have a 22" Vizio HDTV and an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro with OS X Lion installed. (Version 10.7.5)

When connected with a MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI cord the TV alternates the messages "Please Wait" and "No Signal" while the computer changes resolutions and goes blue over and over again. The computer recognizes the TV for a couple of seconds at a time, and disconnects again. I never get a picture on the TV.

The computer and cord work together on three other TVs, so the cord is not broken. The TV also works with another mac running Snow Leopard, so the TV isn't the problem either. There appears to be a compatibility issue between certain TVs (especially Vizios) and Lion. (also Mountain Lion) From my research, I've found many similar issues described since the release of Lion, but no solutions.

I've tried resetting PRAM, safe boot, turning the TV on first or the computer on first but to no avail. I'd rather not buy another TV, there must be a fix for this. Please help me!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 14, 2013 8:51 AM

6 replies

May 14, 2013 10:07 AM in response to sanjampet

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried every available resolution for my computer's LCD but it didn't make a difference. I cannot change the resolution for the TV because it disconnects too fast. I also tried changing it for another TV but I don't think that the settings carry over.

I should note that I also tried a suggestion I found to delete windowserver.plist files but that didn't help either.

Also of note: I went into bootcamp running Windows 7 and I was able to connect with no problems.

May 15, 2013 2:12 PM in response to taylor146

Recently tried repairing permissions from Disk Utility and resetting SMC with no luck.

Some new information:

Sometimes if I unplug and replug the TV-side and time it right, the connection stays, but the picture on the TV is frozen and messed up, kind of like a snow effect and when I mirror it, my computer's screen messes up too. But, since I'm able to edit the display preferences and gather windows I can see that the resolution is 1680x1050 60 Hz, which is supported by my TV. The external monitor is named "ZORAN MATRIX." (It is also named this on the working Mac with Snow Leopard)

May 15, 2013 4:59 PM in response to taylor146

Ok, here is a half-solution:

Since there appears to be some kind of syncing issue, timing when I plugged the cord back in let me keep my connection even though the screen was messed up. While I had access to the settings I switched the resolution of the TV from 1680x1050 to 720p and the screen was already messed up so I turned it off and disconnected and reconnected and my screen works now in 720p and 1080i.

If I switch to any other resolution, my TV disconnects again. I can work with 1080i fine, but I'd like to use 1680x1050 and I still have no idea why the standard resolutions all disconnect my TV. (only on this TV and this OS)

Vizio via HDMI issue Please Wait... No Signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.