Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ripping a dvd, using handbrake and importing to imovie

I have ripped a home DVD in Handbrake to my Mac Book pro running mountain lion in a mp4 format to my desktop. When I try to import the file into imovie it appears to be importing, takes awhile shows % etc but when finished I can not find the event in imovie. Any thoughts? Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 14, 2013 9:39 AM

2 replies

May 14, 2013 11:37 AM in response to khyfromoakton

Handbrake is not the right app if you plan to edit the video in iMovie. Handbrake does not create file types/codecs that iMovie or Final Cut can edit.

You will need MPEG Streamclip (free) + the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Component($20) to convert the DVD for editing. You need both, as MPEG Streamclip utilizes the QT MPEG2 Component for the conversion.

Your profile indicates you have Mt. Lion (10.8.2) on your Mac. There are some special installation instructions for installing both applications on a Lion/Mt. Lion Mac - read it on the MPEG Streamclip website first, before you install either application.

If the DVD video is 4:3 standard def, convert it to QuickTime/DV-DVCPRO NTSC. If it's 16:9 highdef, convert it to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec. Import the resulting converted files into iMovie and you will be able to edit them.

Ripping a dvd, using handbrake and importing to imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.