8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2014 7:15 AM by LarryHN Branched to a new discussion.
tranquilidy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Well...Thanks Apple for censoring and deleting my previous discussion which DID contain useful and constructive information for many people who are trying to track down their photos in Iphoto.  I didn't realize how strongly censored this forum is.  I guess I shouldn't rant about it, or this will also get deleted.

Once again, if anyone is trying to find their original picture files, open a Finder window > Places / your user name / Pictures / Iphoto Library ( Left click and select "Show Package Contents" / Originals.

Also: as an Apple Forum user tip:  Don't be too critical of the Apple products or your post will be deleted.

Thanks again LarryHN and Terence D for the help.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (133,940 points)

f anyone is trying to find their original picture files, open a Finder window > Places / your user name / Pictures / Iphoto Library ( Left click and select "Show Package Contents" / Originals.

1. That's not the correct way to do it, and can easily lead to dataloss for inexperienced users.  The supported way to access your originals is to use the File -> Export command. Set the Kind to Original.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Also: as an Apple Forum user tip:  Don't be too critical of the Apple products or your post will be deleted.

2. I think you'll find the post was deleted because other users complained about it. Apple don't read every post

here - they simply couldn't. Your post came came to their attention because other users of the forum - one at least and possibly more - complained to Apple about the tone and abusive nature of it. If you read the Terms of Use you agreed to when you joined you'll know that was always likely to happen - after all, you agreed not to do it.

3. You made no criticism of Apple. You ranted and raved and used foul language but made no criticism of Apple. All your problems were due to you not understanding the application, not knowing how to use it, and not knowing how not to use it as you preferred. None of that was Apple's fault. There are lots of posts critical of Apple and Apple products on these forums.

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (67,230 points)

gee - your post was abusive - full of profanity and generally obnoxios and was so over the top that I assumed you were under the influnce of something

When you ask a civil, revelant question in a civil way you get help and not problems - come in cussing like a carzy drunk and you are likely to have posts deleted and you can even get banned

Your post most certainly was not deleted because you ask a question or because you critizied Apple - it was because it was simply crazy and abusive

You answer to getting access to the originals is the wrong answer and no one should follow it - it endangers yoru entire iPhoto library

And note that you came here because yhou had been really stupid and had deleted the iphoto application in a fit of rage so you could not do anything

the correct answer to getting the otiginals is to select the photos and export (file menu ==> export) with kind = original - in your case you had to reinstall the iPhoto Application first since you had trashed it

LN

• gloriafromdearborn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 5.31.22 AM.pngFolks, I've been trying to teach a workflow for importing photos to kids; and it's weird, but...

Guess I don't understand why my folder structure under Pictures<iPhoto does not show any folders when I do a search....yet, if I do some of those other odd workarounds, it does show a "master" folder, with them.

Like, If I do the reveal in finder, original, THEN the folders show.  (attached screen shots).  With all those info folders with dates.

This is so confusing for young learners....is there an easier way, or a method to name events/imports that I am missing so that they can go to their home folders under pictures and find individually named folders?  You know, like "pictures"<My named photos (for that particular import), etc.

Thanks.....

While I'm at it, what the heck is the Windows name for 'alias'.....can't remember what that is so I can make an analogy!

Don't use iPhoto.

iPhoto is a Photo Manager. It's designed to work like, say the AddressBook on your computer. Think of it this way:

Add all your addresses to the Addressbook. Edit them, group and organise them as you will.

If you need to access an address then simply use the tools built-in to every app in your Mac to do so - like the email or mail merge features and so on.

*some where on the HD is all that information, but you wouldn't try and find that file, would you? You'd access the data via the Address Book application or the various hooks written into the Applications that integrate with it.

Now, repeat swapping out the word 'address' for the word 'Photos'

Add all your Photos to the iPhoto. Edit them, group and organise them as you will.

If you need to access an Photo then simply use the tools built-in to every app in your Mac to do so - like the Media browser. These are detailed here:

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

What you are trying to teach the kids is a file based system. iPhoto is a data based system. If you don't want to teach the kids how to use a data based system then don't use iPhoto.

Well, I just have never used iPHoto for this.....trying to make sequential sense for learning disabled kids.

Some of them only "get" file based stuff.....like, see, look....this is here, and that is in there, and etc.

They can only "get it" if they can "see" it....in some kind of logical file sequential setup.

Think what I'm gonna do is this:  have them NAME the camera card; have them drag/drop files into created, named folder in pictures,  eject the card, and then import.  The folder name then goes WITH them, even though that whole structure of imports is still listed when you look at the folders in "masters".......IF they create a similarly named file in THAT sub folder....at least THAT is something they can see.  (although it does STILL point to the original file from when it first "saw" it upon import....

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH.

Dyslexia and backgrounds in Windows have corrupted their thinking....=0

Why do that? Why not just have them work in the iPhoto Window? It's actually much more simple.

No problem with working in iPhoto; my dyslexic kids just have SO much trouble with organization......

They need organization to feel like they can find stuff; that kind of anxiety hinders their learning, because they need control.....they panic.

I have a student who takes 100's of images everytime he shoots; then, because he doesn't understand file folder structure, he's not really sure where he is saving his stuff......I tried to go with Lightroom, which is much better...but the whole idea of original files, and what "import" really means in image editing (how the master is protected, etc)......

It's not the editing.....it's trying to get a sequential, logical, here is this, and it is here.....ergo....create a folder where you KNOW it is, and then "import".

Any other suggestions?.....

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (67,230 points)

Same suggestion

do not use iPhoto as it does not work like you want - use a program that does work like you want - you can use image capture to download the photos and store them in the finder like you want and use Preview to view them

You are creating a great deal of disorder for your students by trying to incorrectly use iPhoto - it does not do what you want so either change your work to fit iPhoto or change your photo program to fit your work flow - trying to use a file based organization with a SQLite database program will network and will continue to frustrate you and your students

LN