Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unnamed Faces keep returning

Am using iPhoto 9.4.3 and Aperture 3.4.4 where I have 384 pictures of my wife who is properly named in Faces on both programs. However, when I open Aperture, a large number of her faces show up as being "unconfirmed". This does not occur in iPhoto.

When I confirm her face as the correct person, those very same pictures reappear and I am again asked to confirm. Both programs say I have 384 pictures confirmed. Having done this several times I don't know why they are not properly placed as confirmed in Aperture. I repeat, this does not happen in iPhoto.

Can anyone tell me what might clear this up?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 21.5 Inch, Mid 2011

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:59 AM

7 replies

May 14, 2013 11:30 AM in response to NN2RL

Aperture and iPhoto treat faces slightly differently - in Aperture you can turn Face detection on and off on a per library basis, in iPhoto Face detection is always enabled, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5260

Perhaps the Aperture face detection flag for your library is broken. I'd try to repair the permissions on your Aperture library, and if necessary repair the Aperture library.

See: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Regards

Léonie

May 14, 2013 5:59 PM in response to léonie

Hi Again! I have tried to repair permissions on my Aperture library but when I attempt to hold command + option and double-click on my iPhoto Library, iPhoto only opens, Aperture does not and I do not get to see the Aperture Library First Aid dialog box. I do not know what to do now. Please advise?

Thanks,

Robb

May 14, 2013 9:49 PM in response to NN2RL

• Open your iPhoto Libary in Aperture by launching Aperture with the ⌥-key held down and select the iPhoto library to make it your current Aperture Library. Quit Aperture again.
  • Then hold down ⌥⌘ firmly at the same time and double click the Aperture icon in the Dock or the Applications folder and select the repair option you want.

Regards

Léonie

May 16, 2013 6:38 AM in response to léonie

Léonie, sorry for the delayed response, but I have tried your suggestions and neither have worked. I am still showing the same recurring unconfirmed faces in Aperture even though I have confirmed each and every one, clicked 'done', and watch as they remain as unconfirmed.

I am wondering if I could remove/delete this person from my 'faces' board and start all over again with a fresh confirmation procedure...is there a way to delete this person and do that? If so, do I delete in iPhoto or in Aperture? [iPhoto faces detection is fine, the problem lies within Aperture.]

Thanks again!

Robb

May 16, 2013 12:10 PM in response to NN2RL

Robb,

I am really at a loss what to recommend. I suspect, your Faces database has become corrupted, but trashing this would remove all faces from your library, and that would be a lot of work to start from scratch.

It is not possible to delete a single face from the Faces stack.

• You could try to assign a keyword (the person's name) instead to all images in that stack, then reject the face and export the corresponding images.
  • Import the images of that person into a new Aperture library and assign/confirm faces.
  • Then import this library with the assigned faces. Do they now show in your Faces Stack?

May 20, 2013 8:06 AM in response to NN2RL

You are welcome, Robb.

One last thing you could try. When the "Repair/Rebuild" does not help, it sometimes helps to create a new, empty library, add a picture or two, and then to merge the current library into the new library by importing. This will also recreate all database files inside.

Léonie

Or send a bug report to Apple using the feed back form from Aperture's -menu and wait for the next Aperture update.

Unnamed Faces keep returning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.