7 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 8:06 AM by léonie
NN2RL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Am using iPhoto 9.4.3 and Aperture 3.4.4 where I have 384 pictures of my wife who is properly named in Faces on both programs. However, when I open Aperture, a large number of her faces show up as being "unconfirmed". This does not occur in iPhoto.

When I confirm her face as the correct person, those very same pictures reappear and I am again asked to confirm. Both programs say I have 384 pictures confirmed. Having done this several times I don't know why they are not properly placed as confirmed in Aperture. I repeat, this does not happen in iPhoto.

Can anyone tell me what might clear this up?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 21.5 Inch, Mid 2011
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (75,485 points)

Aperture and iPhoto treat faces slightly differently - in Aperture you can turn Face detection on and off on a per library basis, in iPhoto Face detection is always enabled, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5260

Perhaps the Aperture face detection flag for your library is broken. I'd try to repair the permissions on your Aperture library, and if necessary repair the Aperture library.

See: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Regards

Léonie

• NN2RL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Again!  I have tried to repair permissions on my Aperture library but when I attempt to hold command + option and double-click on my iPhoto Library, iPhoto only opens, Aperture does not and I do not get to see the Aperture Library First Aid dialog box. I do not know what to do now. Please advise?

Thanks,

Robb

• Open your iPhoto Libary in Aperture by launching Aperture with the ⌥-key held down and select the iPhoto library to make it your current Aperture Library. Quit Aperture again.
    • Then hold down ⌥⌘ firmly at the same time and double click the Aperture icon in the Dock or the Applications folder and select the repair option you want.

Regards

Léonie

Léonie,  sorry for the delayed response, but I have tried your suggestions and neither have worked. I am still showing the same recurring unconfirmed faces in Aperture even though I have confirmed each and every one, clicked 'done', and watch as they remain as unconfirmed.

I am wondering if I could remove/delete this person from my 'faces' board and start all over again with a fresh confirmation procedure...is there a way to delete this person and do that?  If so, do I delete in iPhoto or in Aperture?  [iPhoto faces detection is fine, the problem lies within Aperture.] 

Thanks again!

Robb

Robb,

I am really at a loss what to recommend. I suspect, your Faces database has become corrupted, but trashing this would remove all faces from your library, and that would be a lot of work to start from scratch.

It is not possible to delete a single face from the Faces stack.

• You could try to assign a keyword (the person's name)  instead to all images in that stack, then reject the face and export the corresponding images.
    • Import the images of that person into a new Aperture library and assign/confirm faces.
    • Then import this library with the assigned faces. Do they now show in your Faces Stack?

Sorry for the delayed response, Leonie, but this seems like an awful lot of work for very little gain. Thanks for trying, I always appreciate your assistance and good guidance.

Robb

You are welcome, Robb.

One last thing you could try. When the "Repair/Rebuild" does not help, it sometimes helps to create a new, empty library, add a picture or two,  and then to merge the current library into the new library by importing. This will also recreate all database files inside.

Léonie

Or send a bug report to Apple using the feed back form from Aperture's -menu and wait for the next Aperture update.