Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defective Russian Phonetic keyboard in iOS

I've noticed that the Russian Phonetic keyboard is defective in iOS.

Both Russian and Bulgarian use the Cyrillic alphabet but each language has a completely different standard keyboard layout. For example, on the second row of a standard keyboard, the Russian one starts with ФЫВА and the Bulgarian one starts with ЬЯАО. To make typing easier in Cyrillic for users of QWERTY keyboards, both languages also have phonetic keyboards where the layout of the Cyrillic letters closely resembles the same phonetic sounds on a QWERTY keyboard. Therefore the second row of these phonetic keyboards starts with АСДФ, corresponding to ASDF on the second row of a QWERTY keyboard.

Here's the problem - if I add the Bulgarian Phonetic keyboard to my iPhone, I get a phonetic keyboard where the second row starts with АСДФ, but if I add the Russian Phonetic keyboard, I see the standard ФЫВА Russian layout and not a phonetic one starting АСДФ. Unfortunately I cannot use a Bulgarian phonetic keyboard for typing in Russian because it is missing letters that don't exist in Bulgarian, for example Ы.

What is causing this? Is it a bug in iOS?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:48 AM

7 replies

May 14, 2013 11:42 AM in response to NFH.

NFH. wrote:

if I add the Bulgarian Phonetic keyboard to my iPhone, I get a phonetic keyboard where the second row starts with АСДФ, but if I add the Russian Phonetic keyboard, I see the standard ФЫВА Russian layout

In iOS, the default "Bulgarian" screen keyboard happens to be phonetic, while the Russian one is not. That is what you are seeing. If you tap on Bulgarian on the list and then choose Bulgarian Standard for the screen keyboard, that one will also be non-phonetic.

As Meg said, the keyboards which are labeled Phonetic are only for use with an external wifi hardware keyboard.

You can ask Apple to add a Russian phonetic screen keyboard via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 13, 2014 4:36 AM in response to archagon

archagon wrote:

Just added another keyboard, this one with the actual phonetic Russian layout, for people who prefer it over translit: https://appsto.re/us/ZoT33.i

I like the look of this one, but I don't think the layout is ideal. I prefer the Cyrillic Х to correspond to the Latin H and for the Cyrillic Ж to correspond to the English/French J, perhaps:

ЧШЕРТЫУИОПЮ

АСДФГХЖКЛЯЭ

ЗЧЦВБНМЬЩ

ЪЁ

You ought to offer it for free in the App Store for a short period in order to attract some reviews and then start charging later.

Nov 13, 2014 6:10 AM in response to NFH.

I like the look of this one, but I don't think the layout is ideal. I prefer the Cyrillic Х to correspond to the Latin H and for the Cyrillic Ж to correspond to the English/French J

That's a good idea, and I could add that as an option. However, I do believe that the layout I chose is fairly standard. (At least, it's the one that OSX uses.)

You ought to offer it for free in the App Store for a short period in order to attract some reviews and then start charging later.

For a niche app like this, it's never going to work. I'd rather just charge a dollar and not worry about it.

Defective Russian Phonetic keyboard in iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.